Chances for GAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ROAD2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
na

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about Cali, it tends to be a tough state to break into without connections/ties. But come on, without having some red flag, you will be fine. You could probably be fairly selective with your apps, don't go nuts and only apply to the top 10 (not that there even is a consensus top 10) but you shouldn't need more than 15-20. My .02.......

with those scores, your chances are good to very good, assuming you arent a tool in person. i recommend applying broadly not necessarily to maximize your chances but to see whats out there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chance of Cali program: 2.3%. Cali has lots of kids, and you obviously slacked off during peds.
Chance of any program: 12.6%. Too bad your med school wasn't ranked higher. Top 3 would have been better.
Programs needed to apply to: 47. You should have done better on the USMLE.

Chance of Cali program: 2.3%. Cali has lots of kids, and you obviously slacked off during peds.
Chance of any program: 12.6%. Too bad your med school wasn't ranked higher. Top 3 would have been better.

:laugh: I'm kind of disappointed that I had to scroll down to the 3rd response until I saw a reply like this. I expect more from you, SDN...

To the OP: Sorry, I'm just a 2nd year, so I have nothing of any value to say. My (extremely) limited experience would say that you will be fine, but I have no idea about cali programs. I would say you have a 105.3% chance of matching into a program that will allow you to function as an anesthesiologist... unless you are Tooly-McToolerson in person.

Thank you all. We(gas interest group) recently had a meeting with out Anesthesia Residency program director. According to the director anesthesia has gotten very competitive. Apparently one needs half honors, and a 240 Step 1 to match. Browsing the forum and the match outcomes this really didn't seem to be the case. I have the step but not the grades so I wanted to check and see what everyone else thought.

I am a Cali resident. What other "connections" do I need to make before applying? Thanks.

Thank you all. We(gas interest group) recently had a meeting with out Anesthesia Residency program director. According to the director anesthesia has gotten very competitive. Apparently one needs half honors, and a 240 Step 1 to match. Browsing the forum and the match outcomes this really didn't seem to be the case. I have the step but not the grades so I wanted to check and see what everyone else thought.

I am a Cali resident. What other "connections" do I need to make before applying? Thanks.

I disagree with your program director - your 240 alone just about guarantees matching, and the top 15 med school seals the deal. The grades are fine too. My guess is you'll get interviews at many big places, and at least UCLA/UCSD/UCD/UW on the west coast with UCSF/Stanford being probable. Only thing you need to do is make sure you get good letters and, if you're ambitious, try starting an anesthesia related research project. You could do an away if you're really set on one place, but it's probably not necessary.

The biggest thing I noticed at Cali programs was much more ass kissing than on the east coast - everyone very loudly talked about how much they loved CA and about all the family they had there and why they had to match there or they would die of heartbreak. That wasn't for me, but then again I wanted to go east. That's the biggest "connection", just make sure you can verbalize at least one reason you want to be there (which if you're a resident shouldn't be a problem).

Dang it! You beat me to it. But I disagree, I think the OP has a 3.4% chance of matching in Cali. I agree with all the other stats though. Well within 1 standard deviation. Did you happen to calculate a correlation coefficient? I'm busy running the Chi-square analysis...