Chances for General Surgery

Started by DOgdad23
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DOgdad23

MS-4
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone! Just wanting to see what my chances are for gen surg. I’m a DO student in the Midwest (hoping to stay in the Midwest). Not sure how step 1 P/F will affect the C/O 2023.

Step 1: 220-225 (don’t know what happened)
Level 1: 610-620
Step 2: 255-260
Level 2: pending
Top quartile in preclinical
Honored a couple rotations/COMATs
Decent volunteering
Good letters, great comments from preceptors all year
No pubs (one in preparation), 1 presentation, 1 abstract, a couple projects
5 Sub-I’s

Honestly just concerned with my less than stellar step 1 score and maybe my research. Not looking to go to a huge academic program. I just want to match. Any advice on number of programs I should I apply to?

Thanks for all of your help! I wouldn’t be where I’m at without this place!
 
Apply to 120-150 programs. Do a mix of aways at community MD and some DO places.

You should be fine if you apply broadly, get 3+ general surgery letters (preferably academic in nature) and do well on aways. Overall your app is fairly strong and will likely overcome the lower Step 1.

You might even snag a few low tier academic interviews. The process can be somewhat random
 
Apply to 120-150 programs. Do a mix of aways at community MD and some DO places.

You should be fine if you apply broadly, get 3+ general surgery letters (preferably academic in nature) and do well on aways. Overall your app is fairly strong and will likely overcome the lower Step 1.

You might even snag a few low tier academic interviews. The process can be somewhat random
Thanks for the feedback! I’ve got a good mix of academic programs and former AOA community programs that I’m rotating at this year. 3 surgeon letters, 1 non academic, 2 faculty at programs. Hoping to get one more from a PD next month. I’ll keep grinding and hope it pays off!