Chances for General Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOgdad23

MS-4
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Just wanting to see what my chances are for gen surg. I’m a DO student in the Midwest (hoping to stay in the Midwest). Not sure how step 1 P/F will affect the C/O 2023.

Step 1: 220-225 (don’t know what happened)
Level 1: 610-620
Step 2: 255-260
Level 2: pending
Top quartile in preclinical
Honored a couple rotations/COMATs
Decent volunteering
Good letters, great comments from preceptors all year
No pubs (one in preparation), 1 presentation, 1 abstract, a couple projects
5 Sub-I’s

Honestly just concerned with my less than stellar step 1 score and maybe my research. Not looking to go to a huge academic program. I just want to match. Any advice on number of programs I should I apply to?

Thanks for all of your help! I wouldn’t be where I’m at without this place!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Apply to 120-150 programs. Do a mix of aways at community MD and some DO places.

You should be fine if you apply broadly, get 3+ general surgery letters (preferably academic in nature) and do well on aways. Overall your app is fairly strong and will likely overcome the lower Step 1.

You might even snag a few low tier academic interviews. The process can be somewhat random

Reactions: 1 users
Apply to 120-150 programs. Do a mix of aways at community MD and some DO places.

You should be fine if you apply broadly, get 3+ general surgery letters (preferably academic in nature) and do well on aways. Overall your app is fairly strong and will likely overcome the lower Step 1.

You might even snag a few low tier academic interviews. The process can be somewhat random
Thanks for the feedback! I’ve got a good mix of academic programs and former AOA community programs that I’m rotating at this year. 3 surgeon letters, 1 non academic, 2 faculty at programs. Hoping to get one more from a PD next month. I’ll keep grinding and hope it pays off!

Reactions: 1 user