chances for match after two attempts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monkeymanHTX

Reaction score
Hello, first time posting here and just looking for some advice. I have applied to derm twice and did not match and I'm wondering if its time to throw in the towel.

I applied during my fourth year of medical school, after completing an MD/PhD program (PhD in immunology). I was advised by my department I was a good candidate (decent scores, research, etc) and interviewed at 11 schools. To not match was a blow to be sure but I decided to take the year to finish up some research for my PhD, do more derm research, take care of some family obligations, and apply again. I applied again and was advised to focus on schools where I had a direct connection to the program (mentor to reach out, did an away there, etc.) and applied to ~ 25 schools and ranked 5. I decided to do backups this time and after not matching into derm I have matched into a pathology program at my home school. I felt this was the best backup for me considering I like the path aspect of derm a lot, but now I am having serious regrets. I love derm for the patient interaction and the clinic, and I'm not sure path is going to satisfy me in these areas.,

I'm wondering if there is any way derm can still happen for me at this point. I know I need to complete the first year of pathology, but after that are there any tracks that could lead me back to a stand-out derm application? switch to IM? Derm research fellowship? I am fully committed to taking the time to get there, but realistically what would my chances be? I am already an older candidate since I did a dual degree program, plus a gap year. will this make a difference? If I was to switch to IM, do I complete the entire IM program? then apply or do a research fellowship? How soon after I start pathology can I start investigating a switch to IM? sorry for all of the questions, I feel like all of my derm mentors have not had much experience with my situation. thanks for listening!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Apply to all of the dermatology programs! Just get a spot. You will tough. Howard university and Harbor UCLA have dermatology programs which are not glamorous, but who cares. They have patients you can practice on so that you can finish you derm training and move on with your life. I think with an MD/PhD and pathology certification you could definitely get a spot if you tried. You could continue in pathology if it doesn't work out and do derm/path, but why give up on your dream. Also maybe dont tell your program your applying to derm LOL

Members don't see this ad :)
Also maybe dont tell your program your applying to derm LOL

bad advice. They're going to need an LOR from their current PD attesting that they're in good standing and don't have massive red flags and so are leaving their current program.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello, first time posting here and just looking for some advice. I have applied to derm twice and did not match and I'm wondering if its time to throw in the towel.

I applied during my fourth year of medical school, after completing an MD/PhD program (PhD in immunology). I was advised by my department I was a good candidate (decent scores, research, etc) and interviewed at 11 schools. To not match was a blow to be sure but I decided to take the year to finish up some research for my PhD, do more derm research, take care of some family obligations, and apply again. I applied again and was advised to focus on schools where I had a direct connection to the program (mentor to reach out, did an away there, etc.) and applied to ~ 25 schools and ranked 5. I decided to do backups this time and after not matching into derm I have matched into a pathology program at my home school. I felt this was the best backup for me considering I like the path aspect of derm a lot, but now I am having serious regrets. I love derm for the patient interaction and the clinic, and I'm not sure path is going to satisfy me in these areas.,

I'm wondering if there is any way derm can still happen for me at this point. I know I need to complete the first year of pathology, but after that are there any tracks that could lead me back to a stand-out derm application? switch to IM? Derm research fellowship? I am fully committed to taking the time to get there, but realistically what would my chances be? I am already an older candidate since I did a dual degree program, plus a gap year. will this make a difference? If I was to switch to IM, do I complete the entire IM program? then apply or do a research fellowship? How soon after I start pathology can I start investigating a switch to IM? sorry for all of the questions, I feel like all of my derm mentors have not had much experience with my situation. thanks for listening!

Something isn't quite adding up here as your first go around should have been more than enough to match. They may not remember you but it might be worth asking the programs you interviewed at during that round and your most current round of applications to see if there any glaring flaws that you are missing. (This is not an easy or a high yield exercise but something seems to be missing in an otherwise very strong application profile). I think being able to identify and address that issue is a good first start.

Otherwise I would check with your ACGME office to see what the best way to proceed would be now that you've matched into path. As another poster mentioned, transitioning into dermpath is an option albeit one without clinical exposure to Derm. You could run into funding issues by completing your first year of path so you'll need to check with the ACGME office ASAP. If you could back out of your match, a derm research fellowship would probably be your best bet. What have your derm mentors said?

If you finish a path residency, funding will likely be an issue. I know someone who transferred out of rads into dermatology. He finished his first year of rads, did a dermatology research fellowship, and matched into that fellowships home institution. I have met several people who completed a pediatrics residency and went back and did a dermatology residency. Pediatric dermatology is understaffed so some programs are willing to cover the cost to train that resident in the hopes he/she goes into pediatric dermatology.