• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Site Updates Coming Soon

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Chances for matching into an Ophthalmology Residency?

Jun 25, 2020
  1. Medical Student
Hello all!

I am a rising M4 who is going to apply ophthalmology in this upcoming cycle. I am from a low-tier MD program without a home program, but am expecting a to receive a research letter plus 2 ophthalmology letters from ophthalmologists that I have worked with over the past year. Unfortunately, I only have one scheduled away rotation that is late in the cycle (November). My biggest concern is a below-average Step 1. Praying for 8+ interviews. Appreciate any advice, stats are below:

-Step 1: 239, Step 2 CK: 257
-Top quartile, AOA results pending
-Masters in biomedical engineering
-School does not offer honors
-Multiple leadership positions in volunteer groups
-Research: 6 publications. 2-ophthalmology related case reports. 2 first author non-ophthalmology publications in 4+ impact factor journals. Hoping to have three other ophthalmology manuscripts submitted by SF deadline (1 case report, 1 review article, and 1 project). 5 poster presentations (2 ophthalmology related) and a ton of research experiences.

Thank you for your time. I realize that due to my stats, dual-applying might be the best move.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
About the Ads
Jun 25, 2020
  1. Medical Student
yes, network hard. Try to get another away
Ok. Thank you very much for your input, I appreciate it. I had three away rotations that were cancelled due to COVID but actively trying to get more from other institutions. Any recommendations on how to network with other programs? I have been sending emails to some program coordinators and residency directors, but it has been challenging due to not having a home program director.

Upvote 0
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.