MD Chances for MD school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Riseupttc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping for some advice on my chances at the moment for getting into medical school. Here are some of my stats. I am a Latina/White female, and current sophomore. Biology Major with a minor in chemistry. cGPA: 3.6 sGPA: 3.4. (Hopeful 30+ mcat). I should graduate with a 3.8 cGPA.

ECs (By the time I apply)
1000+ working as a CNA
500+ hours volunteering with the homeless
Shadowed a DO and an MD surgeon for a week
3 time Artistic Rollerskating national finalist
Active Phi Delta Epsilon sister for 3.5 years (Pre-Medical Co-ed Frat)
2 years as a student manager.
Honors Scholar

I plan to apply to all Ohio medical schools and the University of Pittsburgh.

Members don't see this ad.

There is a subforum for threads like these called "What Are My Chances". It is I the premed allopathetic forum

Members don't see this ad :)
You should add more schools to your list. There's what, 5 MD schools in Ohio? 6 schools is not enough with a low sGPA and potentially borderline MCAT, even if you are URM. ECs look pretty solid, hopefully you can bring up your sGPA a bit and shoot for 32+ on the MCAT for better chances.

If you're looking to stay close to OH/PA, check out other schools in Pennsylvania (Penn State, Drexel, Jeff, Temple). Also WVU looks at applicants in states that border WV.

Reactions: 1 user
I was hoping for some advice on my chances at the moment for getting into medical school. Here are some of my stats. I am a Latina/White female, and current sophomore. Biology Major with a minor in chemistry. cGPA: 3.6 sGPA: 3.4. (Hopeful 30+ mcat). I should graduate with a 3.8 cGPA.

ECs (By the time I apply)
1000+ working as a CNA
500+ hours volunteering with the homeless
Shadowed a DO and an MD surgeon for a week
3 time Artistic Rollerskating national finalist
Active Phi Delta Epsilon sister for 3.5 years (Pre-Medical Co-ed Frat)
2 years as a student manager.
Honors Scholar

I plan to apply to all Ohio medical schools and the University of Pittsburgh.
Presumably your BCPM GPA will rise along with your cGPA, giving you a good chance of an acceptance somewhere. If you can work some research experience into your ECs, it would benefit your application. Was the DO a primary care doc? If not, it's a good idea to shadow a doc with one of those specialties (like pediatrics, internal medicine, or family practice).

You should add more schools to your list. There's what, 5 MD schools in Ohio? 6 schools is not enough with a low sGPA and potentially borderline MCAT, even if you are URM. ECs look pretty solid, hopefully you can bring up your sGPA a bit and shoot for 32+ on the MCAT for better chances.

If you're looking to stay close to OH/PA, check out other schools in Pennsylvania (Penn State, Drexel, Jeff, Temple). Also WVU looks at applicants in states that border WV.

Do you mean they view them as IS?

Do you mean they view them as IS?

No. WVU heavily favors IS applicants but they extend a small number of invites to people in bordering states. They're still OOS but I think WVU considers proximity to the state as a "tie" to the state.

Reactions: 1 user