What are my chances for MD/DO schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lofi lexus

Reaction score
I am a first-generation college student who is 27 years old and wants to be a doctor. I am in my last year of college and want to apply to MD and DO school. I only have my wife and two boys supporting me. My parents are anti-medicine and don't support my career choice. Growing up, I didn't have a stable childhood. I moved a lot and was homeless a few times, so it impacted my education a lot; I was not good at school and missed classes. I graduated high school with a 2.4 GPA. In 2019 after working for four years, I decided I wanted to pursue my dream and applied to community college and then transferred to a university. I am a biological science major, and most classes are math and science courses. I just finished my junior year and got my first C and First W. I got a C in Organic Chemistry 2. I had a lot of family stuff that impacted me this semester. I have been stressing about this since I got my final grade yesterday. I have a 3.65 GPA and will take the MCAT next spring to apply for the 2025 cycle. What are my chances for medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

cGPA and sGPA: 3.65 GPA and 3.4 sGPA
MCAT score(s): not taken, but practice, I got 509
State of residence or country of citizenship: Arizona
Ethnicity and/or race: White
Undergraduate institution or category: Arizona State University
Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 1 year in pediatric ICU
Shadowing experience and specialties represented. Doing shadowing this summer
I want to apply to all MD and DO schools in Arizona.
The main choice I want is the University of Arizona Medical School. I am open to applying outside of Arizona as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Post your MCAT score when available in the future and we can suggest schools based on that MCAT score.

Reactions: 1 user