MD & DO Chances for Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bella_38

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I screwed up my freshman year... very badly... I had a 2.41 for that year. I realize I'm never going to be as competitive as a 3.6+ applicant, but I have tried so hard since freshman year, and I managed to bring it up a little since then. I have gotten around 3.7-4.0 almost every semester since then, and I have had to balance heavier courseloads with my research, volunteering, etc. So, based on that what are my chances (even for an interview) ?

Overall GPA: 3.51
Science GPA: 3.45
MCAT: 35

*EDITED*

• Also, I'm mostly interestd in MD, so would any of you suggest post bac/SMP/Carribbean or other options? Because I know allopathic schools tend to be a lot more competitive, and that's where I'm in an unfortunate position with this GPA :/
  • I am an asian female.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So, I screwed up my freshman year... very badly... I had a 2.41 for that year. I realize I'm never going to be as competitive as a 3.6+ applicant, but I have tried so hard since freshman year, and I managed to bring it up a little since then. I have gotten around 3.7-4.0 almost every semester since then, and I have had to balance heavier courseloads with my research, volunteering, etc. So, based on that what are my chances (even for an interview) ?

• Also, I'm mostly interestd in MD, so would any of you suggest post bac/SMP/Carribbean or other options? Because I know allopathic schools tend to be a lot more competitive, and that's where I'm in an unfortunate position with this GPA :/
  • I am an asian female.
Asian MD applicants over the last 3 years with a 3.5/35 had a ~65% chance of acceptance. Similar stats for DO applicants are not published, but you would have an even better chance, IMO. A consistent steep upward grade trend is a more positive indicator. So would be a string of A grades in upper-level Bio and Biochem. And not being from California. :)Your stats will get you noticed. How comprehensive and substantial your ECs are and how interesting you appear on paper will determine if you are invited for an interview. LORs and interview skills will determine if you are accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say chances are pretty decent at low-mid tier MD schools, and all DO programs. You can do better than Carib diploma mills too.

No need for a post-bac/SMP, either.

*EDITED*

• I am an asian female.