Chances for medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doconstandby

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am applying to medical school this upcoming cycle, and I feel a little stressed about my statistics. I still need to take my MCAT, but I wanted to see if my GPA is good enough for medical school. I took the bulk of my science classes online in my sophomore year during COVID and family issues, hence the drop in my sophomore year. My university is a medium sized university, with an R2 status, we have a medical school attached to it. I currently have a 3.59 overall GPA and a 3.48 SGPA. I am also an honors student.
Freshman GPA: 3.81
Sophomore GPA: 3.25
Junior GPA: 3.58
Sophomore GPA: 3.69

Shadowing and clinical hours
40 hours- oncology
planning to work in my gap year

Volunteer
100 hours- Charity house
100 hours- volunteer for my sorority dedicating to breast cancer
50 hours- food bank

Leadership
Established and the president of the pre-med organization (2 yrs)
President of MEDLIFE (1 yr) and fundraising officer (1 yr)
Co-organized and was on exec team of dance marathon (1 yr)
elected senator (1 yr) and Secretary (1 yr) of Student government association
300 hours of research; a publication will be added and have done an oral presentation at conference

Members don't see this ad.

People have gotten in with that GPA, although it is below the average matriculant. I'd be much more worried about your clinical experience. You should not apply with 0 hours. Shadowing is counted separately.

Reactions: 1 user
People have gotten in with that GPA, although it is below the average matriculant. I'd be much more worried about your clinical experience. You should not apply with 0 hours. Shadowing is counted separately.
Thank you for your response! I am graduating this year, so I will be taking a gap year while applying this cycle and I will be getting a job as an medical assistant

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your response! I am graduating this year, so I will be taking a gap year while applying this cycle and I will be getting a job as an medical assistant
I got that from your initial post. It's not a good idea. Schools will not appreciate that all your clinical experience is projected. Ideally you're sending in your primary app in June. How many hours will be completed by then?

Reactions: 1 users
I got that from your initial post. It's not a good idea. Schools will not appreciate that all your clinical experience is projected. Ideally you're sending in your primary app in June. How many hours will be completed by then?
I can estimate 50 hours by June, and then add more after. Would that be enough?

No, I would recommend applying after your first gap year. Chill for a while, take your MCAT and crush it. Medical school will still be there a year later, but your chances of getting in with okayish stats and 50 clinical hours are close to zero.

You need at least 150 hours of clinical exposure including shadowing. I'm surprised you don't have more, but you have a lot of campus leadership hours.

Get a little more shadowing in an area totally different from oncology. Use your growth year to work in a clinical environment like as a CNA or a scribe. Show me you can do community service like your food bank or charity house with more dedication when you don't have classes or clubs holding you back.

A GPA dip in sophomore year is common. I've heard it called the "Nike swoosh."

Your overall pattern is the student who got into the clubs and SGA a little too hard and got stretched thin, but not terribly so.

Get more medical experience, get more quality volunteering, post a solid MCAT, and you'll be competitive.

No. Wait a year. Your clinical experiences are zero , non clinical volunteering is iffy and you should have some primary care shadowing. All of that and the fact you don’t have a MCAT score sets you up for a difficult cycle. Don’t apply until you are 100 % ready. Apply when you have a comprehensive application that screams I am a great candidate. Do this right if you really want to go to med school.

• Love