Chances for native american male?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cwaranch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a good gpa, good ecs, semi low mcat. I am applying as native american/white on my application to both md and do schools. Do you think I will receive more preference due to this? I am not sure how this works as I just learned about urm.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a good gpa, good ecs, semi low mcat. I am applying as native american/white on my application to both md and do schools. Do you think I will receive more preference due to this? I am not sure how this works as I just learned about urm.

That's probably a telltale sign that you'll have your work cut out for you proving it.

I dont think it is legal for them to ask you to prove it is it? They cant ask for my family tree. Im just trying to understand the whole thing if there is any difference I know what I am lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont think it is legal for them to ask you to prove it is it? They cant ask for my family tree. Im just trying to understand the whole thing if there is any difference I know what I am lol.

If you're trying to claim Native American status, you're going to have to prove it to the adcoms. They will want to see a tribal affiliation (do you own a tribal affiliation card?) and/or a long history of activities that would indicate to them that you feel passionate about belonging to the Native American community. It's not as simple as checking "Native American" off a checklist. Otherwise, don't you think more borderline white applicants would try to claim it as well?

Adcoms aren't stupid. They can tell who's an actual URM and who's trying to use URM status for personal "benefit". This isn't what you want to hear, but I'm saying it anyway. Minorities don't wake up one morning and decide that they want to claim their minority status just to overcome a low MCAT score. Either find a way to prove that you're Native American or raise your MCAT score.

Lol im not putting native american to claim i am under privileged i am putting it because it is part of my race. I dont do anything to indicate im passionate about being white either nor can I prove im white. Plus it is an optional section that i am simply marking truthfully as I was told by my parents that on my dads side I am native american.

As an attorney who used to do enrollment, I am going to offer my two cents.

I can easily see you being asked for either a Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood from the Bureau of Indian Affairs or a tribal enrollment card. If you can't produce either, I would think you are full of ****. Schools are wise to people claiming Indian status based on their Cherokee princess grandmother. Indeed, I remember being asked for mine when I applied to an Ivy League school. So, be careful.

Lol im not putting native american to claim i am under privileged i am putting it because it is part of my race. I dont do anything to indicate im passionate about being white either nor can I prove im white. Plus it is an optional section that i am simply marking truthfully as I was told by my parents that on my dads side I am native american.

I've been told the same thing--that I'm of Native American ancestry (except on both sides). My great-grandfather grew up on a reservation. My great-grandmother (other side of family) had Cherokee Indian tribal affiliation. But I do not claim NA status. Why? Because that's not who I am. And because you had to be told by your parents that you've got Native American ties, that's not who you are, either. In the absence of tribal documentation, adcoms will consider you to be white--which is what you've considered yourself to be up to now. If you haven't embraced it previously and/or you can't prove it, it's not who you are.

I wish you good luck in this process, but it seems to me that you'd be better served studying for an MCAT retake rather than you trying to find an "easier" path into medical school.

I live in N. AZ next to a vast expanse of Native lands.

Before I moved here I met so many white folks who claimed to be native and it always cracked me up. Some cracker trying to claim they are native.

Here in N. AZ you aren't native unless you are affiliated with a tribe. They would laugh their butts off at anyone who tried to claim otherwise.

So... if you are legit and have demonstrated a commitment to the tribe/rez... you will be a slam dunk. They desperately need native doctors out here and in other rez areas.

If you are a white guys whose grandpa was 25% native and you have never stepped foot on tribal land.... don't embarrass yourself by trying to claim something you are not.

Last edited:
Mafunk, I found your response informative. However, I think it would have been just as effective without the derogatory term.

Mafunk, I found your response informative. However, I think it would have been just as effective without the derogatory term.
Oh, sorry about that. My husband is a self proclaimed 'cracker'. Didn't think of it as derogatory

That's probably a telltale sign that you'll have your work cut out for you proving it.

As a follow-up from this cycle, the Howard secondary asks for proof of Indian blood.

UND also asks for your enrollment card.