chances for nova alternates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bostonbryan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the chances are of an alternate getting into NOVA? I just spoke with Su-Ann and she said that most of the alternates get in. Is this correct? Or is she just trying to make me feel better?

Members don't see this ad.

I was on Nova's alternate list a few years ago and did not get in. The worst part was that they didn't send me a notification until Sept and it was a one line note saying I didn't get in with a scribbled signature. It really turned me off from the school. I'm sorry, but I wouldn't bank on it. Nova seems to be a very popular school and it is already late March.

OK, I'm sure it's different every application cycle, but only 7/100 people out of my class came from the alternate list last year. This means two things. First, people that decided to come to Nova seldomly changes their minds and second, Nova hardly taps into the alternate list to fill entering classes.

Last year, there were 100s of people on our alternate list so you go figure the odds of coming off.

Further, current incoming class is very close being filled (last time I checked, two weeks ago, over 80/100 seats were secured) and Su-Ann also told me that this year applicants are committing to Nova a lot sooner than last year's applicants.

I guess things can always change even 1 week into the next school year, but Nova is not one of those dental schools that takes a lot of their incoming class from their alternate list like some dental schools.

Nonetheless, hang in tight and good luck in your application for admission.

First of all I just wanted to say that this forum has been so helpful. I only wished I knew about it before I applied. I didnt realize how important it is to apply early until I went on my interviews and found that there were almost no spaces left!

Anyway I applied to Nova about mid Jan (yes I know kinda late) anyway I was invited for an interview around Mar. I called about 3 weeks later and I found out that I was accepted. However, at that time they did not have any available spaces to officially accept me since the class was full. I asked them if I was waitlisted and I was told that I wasnt waitlisted. They said I had been accepted but I had to wait for space to open up and that being waitlisted was a completely different thing (if that makes any sense). I did ask if I would have to reapply if space didnt open up and they said I would have to reapply.

I have been officially waitlisted at two other schools (partly due to sending in my application late-no big shock there) but im wondering if anyone else has had that experience with the waitlist thing.