Chances for NYCPM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luvasr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I was wondering if I could get some input on chances of getting into NYCPM or any other podiatry schools.

Cum gpa: 3.27
Sci gpa: 3.00
MCAT 21 (Retake??)

EC:
New York Blood Center volunteer- over 100 hrs
Shadowing podiatrist soon
Internship for the next year with non profit organization trying to help citizens of the city in various ways.
Member of different clubs on campus.
Shadowed physicians (MD) 70 hours
Pre-K teacher for one year

Much thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

hmmm. this early in the cycle you could probably get an interview. last year NYCPM aver averaged cGPA 3.3 sGPA 3.2 and MCAT 23. They took people in the the range 2.75-3.99/2.75-3.95/19-30. Personally, I think you need to focus on PODIATRY specific stuff. It looks to me like you have been planning on a different path and are now looking at this as a sort of fall back (I could be totally wrong). I have had two deans of admission tell me they are looking for the right person who wants PODIATRY as their number one choice. I would concentrate on that before thinking about re-taking the MCAT

BME major

science gpa: 3.53
overall: 3.44
new york resident

MCAT

EC:
research since sophomore (no publication)
homeless shelter from time to time
volunteer at a local hospital for over 150 hrs
special program from my school where I get to shadow a medical resident and observe surgeries....
clinical work (almost everyday for 4 months)
Worked as pharm technician in 2 pharmacy
experiences in clinics
will shadow podiatrist as I have scheduled an appointment /
Won first place for my senior design project (NEBEC) against other engineering schools (so I had it published; was going to get a temp patent )

I have asked if I stand a chance. but I specifically want to see if I can get into NYCPM, since i live in the area.

Note that I will be retaking the MCAT this coming January.

I think the earliest I can get everything together would be by the end of October. Is it too late or will i have a harder chance to get into NYCPM ? THANKS, TRULY APPRECIATE FEEDBACKS.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I got an interview at NYCPM with a cGPA of 2.93 and a sGPA of 2.88 and an MCAT score of 23Q. I am however double majoring and have a ton of ECs if that has anything to do with it.

Thank you everyone for your feedback!

How many of you are applying for Jan admission?? is it easier or harder by any means?? i would imagine lesser amount of applicants apply for the jan admission....please clarify my misconcceptions

How many of you are applying for Jan admission?? is it easier or harder by any means?? i would imagine lesser amount of applicants apply for the jan admission....please clarify my misconcceptions
Yes I do believe there are less applicants for that term. Its not a bad deal actually if you have nothing else going on.

I don't think it's necessarily easier, it's just a different applicant pool. Some applicants who go into the January term are ones who graduated in December. Other people are those who have been out of school for long period of time and want to ease into the curriculum - some are coming from other careers and others have children at home. Either way you still have to have the stats to get interviewed/accepted. Definitely less people applying January, though.

I don't think it's necessarily easier, it's just a different applicant pool. Some applicants who go into the January term are ones who graduated in December. Other people are those who have been out of school for long period of time and want to ease into the curriculum - some are coming from other careers and others have children at home. Either way you still have to have the stats to get interviewed/accepted. Definitely less people applying January, though.

there are a less amount of people applying but they also accept only about 20-30 people for the January class. So it is a trade-off. You lose nothing in applying twice. It will show them that you really want it too and get feedback on waht you should change if they decline you

Apply with your 21 MCAT and retake only if they tell you to do so.