Army Chances for OMFS residency program acceptance for an Army reserves dentist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cptwick

Reaction score
Hello. Currently im a O-3 in the Army reserves working as a dentist with 1 year of experience. I'm trying to apply for OMFS residency program with in the Army with in the next year or so. My GPA in dental school was not the greatest but from my undergrad I have about 6 Research publications. My question is if I score high on my CBSE exam and with good letters of recommendation, what are my chances to get in to a Army OMFS program. Also is there a better chance if I apply after becoming an active duty dentist in the army?
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm interested to know too,

Members don't see this ad :)
Your chances are excellent. What you are doing is a hidden little gem that most people don't know about. Reservists CAN apply to Army residency, of course you will accrue payback, but its a very sneaky way to get into the program without initially committing to the HPSP or full time active duty.

Army has had open spots in OMFS for the past three years. People aren't scoring high enough on the exams and the Army is choosing not to take people that don't have the minimum qualifying score. Army has been taking more dental school grads over people currently in service because the new grads are doing better on the test. So study hard and score high.

Reactions: 2 users
Your chances are excellent. What you are doing is a hidden little gem that most people don't know about. Reservists CAN apply to Army residency, of course you will accrue payback, but its a very sneaky way to get into the program without initially committing to the HPSP or full time active duty.

Army has had open spots in OMFS for the past three years. People aren't scoring high enough on the exams and the Army is choosing not to take people that don't have the minimum qualifying score. Army has been taking more dental school grads over people currently in service because the new grads are doing better on the test. So study hard and score high.
Does omfs not fall under gme with the other residency/fellowships? For that, reserve component counts as civilian in terms of applicants and their ability to apply is determined every year in the gme announcement (past few civilians not allowed to apply)

Does omfs not fall under gme with the other residency/fellowships? For that, reserve component counts as civilian in terms of applicants and their ability to apply is determined every year in the gme announcement (past few civilians not allowed to apply)
I personally know an endodontist who applied through the reserve because he couldn't get into a civilian specialty. This was about 4-5 years ago. But if any one wants a concrete answer, they can use this to contact Graduate Dental Education Team at [email protected] or by phone at: 210-221-0079 or 210-295-9604.

Reactions: 1 user

I personally know an endodontist who applied through the reserve because he couldn't get into a civilian specialty. This was about 4-5 years ago. But if any one wants a concrete answer, they can use this to contact Graduate Dental Education Team at [email protected] or by phone at: 210-221-0079 or 210-295-9604.

From my understanding, to apply for a specialty program you will have to be an active duty dentist. Contact this number 210-295-9604 and the person on the phone will mention there is no opportunities to specialize as a reserve dentist. If you speak to army recruiters, they will mention the same thing. To specialize with the army, you will need to be an active duty dentist.