Chances for ophtho without ophtho pubs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alex.jl1994

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've heard from my home program that where you're coming from (whether you have an ophtho program in house)/your rec letters (and ofc meeting the step cutoff) is almost more important than the type of research you've done.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess in that case, the question would be why you haven't been more prolific in publishing ophtho papers if you've worked with multiple faculty members at a great home program?

It really depends on what kind of program you’re looking for. If you want to match at a research-heavy, brand name residency, then it is important. This includes the “top 10” or similar residencies. If you want to just match in general, then it doesn’t matter as much.

What’s more important than publishing is the effort and quality of the research. Piggybacking on a clinical trial where you did some data entry isn’t as impressive as helping design, analyze, and write the paper/poster. In interviews I ask applicants what they did, and often the answer is very shallow or not meaningful.

What matters more are LORs, scores, and the name of your medical school. You may not necessarily match at your top rank or top 3, but you should certainly match with your stats if you don’t mess up your interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
You will be fine in the match. Your step score is great. The fact you have published in other fields shows that you have the skills and determination to take on research projects and follow through with them. If asked about your ophthalmoloyg research, just explain what you are currently working on and how far along these projects are etc.