Chances for Pre-Med with a B.A?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Myrtletheturtle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I would appreciate any comments and advice for my situation.

I am recently graduated with B.A in Sociology, and have not taken any sciences since High school. I didnt even take them in university, because I was debating on even going to medical school or law school during my last year of high school. So, I decided on law school, and thats why I chose my program. It wasnt until the end of my third year, where I realized that I wouldnt want to stay in this field, but rather, try my chances at medical school. I mean, it has always been what I wanted to do ever since I was a child. And, I would have regretted if I didnt try.

So, I took my mcat, and ended up with a 484- still not good enough to be competitive, apparently. I was so proud of myself, that I decided to apply to 8 or 7 American schools, of none I was offered any interviews. I also thought that my gpa, although its not a science gpa, was low- around (77% near the end of my two years). I honestly, did not care anymore. I just passed my courses. I should also note that I only applied to 8, because most schools do require prerequisites.

Now, my plan is to get a Masters in Public Health in order to amp up my application, to show that I am committed to the medical field. I am volunteering at my local hospital again, and I'm even taking my pre-requisites at my local university under a non-degree student (because canada doesnt have post-bach programs). I am also planning on rewriting the mcat, once I finished my courses, in order to get a score above the 508- which i dont think its too far reach for me.

My question is, do you think with this plan, my application is strong enough to get passed through to get an interview? Am I missing anything? I would have loved to have done a masters in sciences, but most of them require me to have had a b.sc.

By the way, I went to retake couple of my third and fourth year courses, and it really didnt make a dent in my over cumulative gpa. But, my third and fourth year are around 77% and 78%. So, I thought, I should now focus on my pre-med perquisites.

what are my chances, realistically?

Members don't see this ad.

What is your GPA on a 4.0 grade scale?

Likely your best bet will be to retake anything you got a C or lower and apply DO (they do grade replacement whereas MD does not). If you can get a 508 you would be good for most if not all DO schools and some lower tier MD schools (depending on the GPA). Just know that jumping from a 484 to a 508 will likely be very difficult unless you just didn't prepare at all the first time around.

Edit: I missed the part about you not having done any science courses. In that case you will likely want to do a post-bac of some sort. Not taking the prerequisites is going to hold you back.

What is your GPA on a 4.0 grade scale?

Likely your best bet will be to retake anything you got a C or lower and apply DO (they do grade replacement whereas MD does not). If you can get a 508 you would be good for most if not all DO schools and some lower tier MD schools (depending on the GPA). Just know that jumping from a 484 to a 508 will likely be very difficult unless you just didn't prepare at all the first time around.

Edit: I missed the part about you not having done any science courses. In that case you will likely want to do a post-bac of some sort. Not taking the prerequisites is going to hold you back.

So I just checked my cumulative gpa is 3.30 on the canadian OMSAS scale. Should be relatively the same on the american one. Because canada doesnt have a post-bac program, do you think if i just take the prerequisites and then obtain a mph that would amp up my application as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I just checked my cumulative gpa is 3.30 on the canadian OMSAS scale. Should be relatively the same on the american one. Because canada doesnt have a post-bac program, do you think if i just take the prerequisites and then obtain a mph that would amp up my application as well?

That would be fine if there is no post-bac option. A 3.30 GPA is salvageable. Also, I am not completely familiar with Canadians applying to medical schools in the US so others may give better advice.

As for the MPH it is not worth your time. Even a master's degree in the normal sciences aren't particularly helpful. The GPAs are seen to be very inflated, whether it is in your specific program or not.

As an international student you will have a very difficult time gaining an interview at any American school. International students are usually far better stats wise than their American counterparts. You are many years away from having a competitive application. You need the prerequisites completed before you take the MCAT again. It was very silly to take that test without those courses. At best ADCOMS will question your judgement since your 486 will be forever visible on your score report and
many schools average scores. A 486is equivalent to a ~17 on the old test. It will be very difficult to score in the required range, especially if a school
averages that 17 with your new score. So start with the prerequisites! Get stellar grades in the classes-like all As- and then figure out where you are . If you are in a good place GPA wise you could spend several months studying for the MCAT and see how you do on the MCAT.
In the meantime you have all of your ECs to do! Have you done anything in this regard? Spend some time reading the WAMC threads. That will give you an idea of what activities you should be doing. I'd forget about a MPH at this point. It won't be helpful for US MD schools at all. Just focus on your pre reqs, ECs and down the line a couple of years , your MCAT.
What on earth made you take the MCAT without the science classes and why did you apply with a 486 , a low GPA and no pre reqs?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
1. Do I understand this correctly...you took NO science classes at all? And took the MCAT with no prep?:eek:

2. What's the lowest score you can get on the new MCAT? Is a 484 even possible? :confused:

Reactions: 1 user
1. Do I understand this correctly...you took NO science classes at all? And took the MCAT with no prep?:eek:

2. What's the lowest score you can get on the new MCAT? Is a 484 even possible? :confused:

The lowest possible score is a 472, a 484 is an 8th percentile though.

I can only imagine what the MCAT was like with zero science background...that was a foolish mistake to take it. You've got a long way to go, but it's not insurmountable as others have said. You need a post bacc anyways to take the prereqs, so aim to get As in all those classes. After you're done then sit for the MCAT and aim for a score greater than 510 if possible. You also need your ECs in order too, have you started shadowing or volunteering yet?

Reactions: 1 users
After I typed out and posted my reply , I thought the same thing.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

why would I have to be a troll? I thought 484 was out of 528, which would be around 92%. Am i mistaken?

I am sorry, but I really have no one to help me. I am on this on my own. At least in your american schools, you guys have premed Councillors, and I dont even have that. And Yes, I have been on top of my EC, which were shadowing two family physicians, and one neurologist. I have been a tutor for maths in high school, volunteered with the Canadian Cancer society, and have been volunteering at my local hospital for about four months now.

I am just not sure if i am even on the right track, as of reading your comments. In order to get across the screening, I need to increase my cumulative gpa ( and get a science prerequisites), improve my mcat score to above 510+. But canada doesnt even have a post-bacc, so I am taking my science prerequisites as a non-degree. So does that count? I am planning on taking bio I and II, Gchem I and II, Physics, Orgo I and II.

I had read somewhere that if an applicant's science gpa is higher than their other gpa, and have a good mcat score (including ECs, and letters, personal statement). I thought after I had taken all of the science prerequisites, I could apply to the mph as a 'career changer' and besides I could get a good job in the healthcare field as a backup plan.

Actually, a friend of mine had bachelor of science and then got a mph as well, and got into one of the canadian schools. So, do you think that can work out for me as well? I honestly, dont even want to apply to the Caribbean, because of the horror stories ive heard of the IMGs coming back to canada and having difficulty getting residencies.

Please help. Am I that hopeless?

why would I have to be a troll? I thought 484 was out of 528, which would be around 92%. Am i mistaken?

I am sorry, but I really have no one to help me. I am on this on my own. At least in your american schools, you guys have premed Councillors, and I dont even have that. And Yes, I have been on top of my EC, which were shadowing two family physicians, and one neurologist. I have been a tutor for maths in high school, volunteered with the Canadian Cancer society, and have been volunteering at my local hospital for about four months now.

I am just not sure if i am even on the right track, as of reading your comments. In order to get across the screening, I need to increase my cumulative gpa ( and get a science prerequisites), improve my mcat score to above 510+. But canada doesnt even have a post-bacc, so I am taking my science prerequisites as a non-degree. So does that count? I am planning on taking bio I and II, Gchem I and II, Physics, Orgo I and II.

I had read somewhere that if an applicant's science gpa is higher than their other gpa, and have a good mcat score (including ECs, and letters, personal statement). I thought after I had taken all of the science prerequisites, I could apply to the mph as a 'career changer' and besides I could get a good job in the healthcare field as a backup plan.

Actually, a friend of mine had bachelor of science and then got a mph as well, and got into one of the canadian schools. So, do you think that can work out for me as well? I honestly, dont even want to apply to the Caribbean, because of the horror stories ive heard of the IMGs coming back to canada and having difficulty getting residencies.

Can you please explain why you thought it was a good idea to take the most important exam for a pre-med (MCAT) without any pre-req courses? How long did you study for? I think everyone in this thread needs to get over that hurdle before you can get any sound advice

Reactions: 2 users
Can you please explain why you thought it was a good idea to take the most important exam for a pre-med (MCAT) without any pre-req courses? How long did you study for? I think everyone in this thread needs to get over that hurdle before you can get any sound advice
well, once I graduated in the summer of 2014, I took one full year with tutors to study for the mcat, I have all the textbooks, and took the test.
In canada, you can apply to some medical schools that dont require the pre-requisites, thats why I thought if I do well on the test (and I thought I did) and I found out there were 7 or 8 schools in the states that didnt require prerequisites to apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
well, once I graduated in the summer of 2014, I took one full year with tutors to study for the mcat, I have all the textbooks, and took the test.
In canada, you can apply to some medical schools that dont require the pre-requisites, thats why I thought if I do well on the test (and I thought I did) and I found out there were 7 or 8 schools in the states that didnt require prerequisites to apply.

The lowest possible score on the MCAT is a 472.
Your 484 is, according to JustAPhD, in the bottom 8% of test takers.

Um yes, because that's not how MCAT scores work. They use percentiles based on how many questions you get right and converting that into a scaled score.

What are "premed Councillors"? You mean advisers? Not many US universities have that and even those that do tend to have pretty inept ones. That's why many visit SDN for accurate advice.

Yes that's a DIY (do it yourself) postbacc which is fine. But making a 25+ point improvement on the MCAT is a different story altogether.

I don't know what your first sentence is supposed to mean.

I don't know how Canadian schools work although some members here do have some insight like @NotASerialKiller and @bearintraining. And never ever think about going to Caribbean unless it's for a vacation, so good decision there.

You need to take the necessary science prerequisites, ace them, and spend plenty of time really preparing well for the MCAT and crush it by scoring well above 510+. This is no easy feat so take as much time as you need to do well.

You spent a year with tutors studying for the MCAT? And even then you got a 484? Well I would try to ask for a refund, do well on science courses, and study for the MCAT in the future using various MCAT study plans found here in SDN.

Also, even if some of the US schools say they didn't require prereqs, they actually expect you to have completed them (this is a hidden requirement).

Thank you guys so much. I just wished I had learned about this forum before.

As it currently stands, your GPA would keep you out of the running at any Canadian school. Some schools only look at your most recent years (Ottawa, Western, etc.) so you can always start another degree, but that's not a smart decision unless you have very strong reason to believe that you'd perform dramatically better. Your grades are nowhere near where they'd need to be right now. If you get >3.8 on the pre-reqs you mentioned you could consider doing that though, if you're dedicated to this path.

edit: Also most Canadian schools either use the MCAT just as a cutoff or only look at your most recent attempt, so your first score won't hold you back if you do manage to score a lot higher

I would move to a state that has a "low-tier" DO school, establish US residency, take all of the pre-req classes at whatever state school is there, retake MCAT, and hope to God an adcom will look past that MCAT score

I would move to a state that has a "low-tier" DO school, establish US residency, take all of the pre-req classes at whatever state school is there, retake MCAT, and hope to God an adcom will look past that MCAT score
He doesn't have a green card.

As it currently stands, your GPA would keep you out of the running at any Canadian school. Some schools only look at your most recent years (Ottawa, Western, etc.) so you can always start another degree, but that's not a smart decision unless you have very strong reason to believe that you'd perform dramatically better. Your grades are nowhere near where they'd need to be right now. If you get >3.8 on the pre-reqs you mentioned you could consider doing that though, if you're dedicated to this path.

edit: Also most Canadian schools either use the MCAT just as a cutoff or only look at your most recent attempt, so your first score won't hold you back if you do manage to score a lot higher
This--^

can't really add much other than to say in Canada GPA is king. If you don't score high (we are talking 3.7+) it is an extremely challenging road ahead. Most of the time you won't even receive an interview, and if you do, you need to absolutely ace it to even be considered. There are some exceptions, but they are rare, and few and far between. If you get an awesome MCAT score, you will have a better chance in the US, IMO. That comes at great expense, however.

Last edited:
There are over 23 schools in the US that do not require traditional science courses!

Guys....

:troll::troll::troll::troll::troll:

qZufjOT.png