Chances for this DO matching ACGME EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathologyDO

MS-3
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there!

Disclaimer: I have only a COMLEX score, no USMLE

I just received my COMLEX I score and it was ~520. I'm curious if anyone would be able to answer what my chances at matching an ACGME EM spot would be. Right now I have a publication in the works (not 1st author, however) and have no red flags.

Members don't see this ad.

Use the search function.
The standard by which ACGME programs judge you is your USMLE score. Plan on taking USMLE Step II if you want to apply ACGME EM.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey there!

Disclaimer: I have only a COMLEX score, no USMLE

I just received my COMLEX I score and it was ~520. I'm curious if anyone would be able to answer what my chances at matching an ACGME EM spot would be. Right now I have a publication in the works (not 1st author, however) and have no red flags.

Highly unlikely without a USMLE(well you might get into a program that has trouble filling....)

Members don't see this ad :)
Use the search function.
The standard by which ACGME programs judge you is your USMLE score. Plan on taking USMLE Step II if you want to apply ACGME EM.

Is it possible to take usmle step II without a step I?

Use the search function.
Roughly 60 DOs took Step II last year- usually a COMLEX I+II and a Step I is enough.

Reactions: 1 user
If I were in your position, I'd be concerned enough to look that information up myself. Just saying.

Wow, as if my situation is ****ty. Thanks dude

I wouldn't characterize it as "****ty," but it would be worth my while to find out myself, if it were me. Anyhow, it's my understanding that you do not need to take the Steps in order and you could take Step 2 w/o Step 1. Know that you'll have to answer why you didn't take Step 1, though.

It won't be impossible for you to match, but you'll make it a lot easier to get where you want to go if you had taken USMLE. Contact the individual programs you're interested in to get a better idea.

You are behind the curve at this point. Take USMLE Step II and do above avg (230+). Do well 3rd year. Set up at least two audition rotations at ACGME residencies early (July-Aug) and get two great SLOEs. You can still match but it is an uphill battle. If you just have COMLEX scores it will be very difficult. Also do your research in six months and see what programs have taken DOs. Apply broadly. If you don't have a mentor, get one. If you can't find one at your school look on SAEM website for online mentors.

Again you still have a shot, but do better.

I believe the point of my post was "do your homework if you're this worried about not matching into your specialty of choice".

Take it however you want. I'm also a DO student, FWIW.

Last edited:
At minimum I'd take USMLE 2. If you really want to boost your chances take USMLE 1 as well. If you just got your COMLEX 1 score I'm guessing you are starting 3rd year now? You should still be able to take USMLE 1.

Your goal as an osteopathic student is to enter an allopathic residency solely with an osteopathic exam and not the allopathic exam with the hope that you will be compared equally to other allopathic applicant. Is this correct?

Reactions: 1 users
Was wondering if I could get some advice from SDN regarding not necessarily WAMC but how many programs and maybe some feed back on my current list. Posting here instead of making a new thread.

Desire academic EM, research, teaching.

PhD biochemistry, 4 years, tons of pubs in and prior to med school
DO student, top 10-20ish%, no class rank
SSP (do's crappy version of AOA)
USMLE 1 & 2: 250/260
Level 1 & 2: 640/630
3rd year: 5 honors, 5 or 6 pass
4th year: HP & Honors in EM at 2 very large & respected academic centers
various leadership positions in aam/rsa, teaching, part time job, etc
no red flags
per eras, like 5 work experiences, 14 volunteer experiences, 6 research experiences

Received advice for 10-15 interviews resulting in about 30-35 applications. My list includes a mix of large academic centers, a few reaches, lots of solid community/hybrid programs. Currently list is 35. Would like to stay midwest, and not considering Mich*gan (go bucks!). I feel like I should have some lesser prestige programs, but I would like to end up career-wise at an academic center, and if it wasn't for the the whole DO thing, I think most of the programs on the list would be very appropriate.

*not in any specific order, just a random order from my current spread sheet

University of FL - Gainsville Gainesville FL
Orlando Health Program Orlando FL
University of FL - Jacksonville Jacksonville FL
Indiana University Indianapolis IN
University of Kentucky Lexington KY
University of Louisville Louisville KY
Case Western Reserve Cleveland OH
Case Western Reserve/MetroHealth Cleveland OH
Ohio State Columbus OH
Wright State Kettering OH
Denver Health Medical Ctr Denver CO
George Washington University Washington DC
Emory University Atlanta GA
Advocate Christ Medical Ctr Oak Lawn IL
Ressurection Chicago IL
University of Illionis Chicago Chicago IL
Cook County Chicago IL
University of Maryland Baltimore MD
Johns Hopkins Baltimore MD
Akron General Akron OH
Summa Health Akron OH
University of Cincinnati Cincinnati OH
University of South FL Tampa FL
Duke Durham NC
Wake Forest Winston-Salem NC
Maimonides Medical Ctr Brooklyn NY
SUNY Health Science Brooklyn NY
Penn State Hershey PA
Virginia Tech Rowanoke VA
University of Virginia Charlottesville VA
Eastern Virginia Medical School Norfolk VA
Virginia Commonwealth Richmond VA
Staten Island University Staten Island NY
New York Methodist Brooklyn NY
New York Hospital Medical Ctr Flushing NY

Thank you for any help/advice.

Last edited:
Was wondering if I could get some advice from SDN regarding not necessarily WAMC but how many programs and maybe some feed back on my current list. Posting here instead of making a new thread.

Desire academic EM, research, teaching.

PhD biochemistry, 4 years, tons of pubs in and prior to med school
DO student, top 10-20ish%, no class rank
SSP (do's crappy version of AOA)
USMLE 1 & 2: 250/260
Level 1 & 2: 640/630
3rd year: 5 honors, 5 or 6 pass
4th year: HP & Honors in EM at 2 very large & respected academic centers
various leadership positions in aam/rsa, teaching, part time job, etc
no red flags
per eras, like 5 work experiences, 14 volunteer experiences, 6 research experiences

Received advice for 10-15 interviews resulting in about 30-35 applications. My list includes a mix of large academic centers, a few reaches, lots of solid community/hybrid programs. Currently list is 35. Would like to stay midwest, and not considering Mich*gan (go bucks!). I feel like I should have some lesser prestige programs, but I would like to end up career-wise at an academic center, and if it wasn't for the the whole DO thing, I think most of the programs on the list would be very appropriate.

*not in any specific order, just a random order from my current spread sheet

University of FL - Gainsville Gainesville FL
Orlando Health Program Orlando FL
University of FL - Jacksonville Jacksonville FL
Indiana University Indianapolis IN
University of Kentucky Lexington KY
University of Louisville Louisville KY
Case Western Reserve Cleveland OH
Case Western Reserve/MetroHealth Cleveland OH
Ohio State Columbus OH
Wright State Kettering OH
Denver Health Medical Ctr Denver CO
George Washington University Washington DC
Emory University Atlanta GA
Advocate Christ Medical Ctr Oak Lawn IL
Ressurection Chicago IL
University of Illionis Chicago Chicago IL
Cook County Chicago IL
University of Maryland Baltimore MD
Johns Hopkins Baltimore MD
Akron General Akron OH
Summa Health Akron OH
University of Cincinnati Cincinnati OH
University of South FL Tampa FL
Duke Durham NC
Wake Forest Winston-Salem NC
Maimonides Medical Ctr Brooklyn NY
SUNY Health Science Brooklyn NY
Penn State Hershey PA
Virginia Tech Rowanoke VA
University of Virginia Charlottesville VA
Eastern Virginia Medical School Norfolk VA
Virginia Commonwealth Richmond VA
Staten Island University Staten Island NY
New York Methodist Brooklyn NY
New York Hospital Medical Ctr Flushing NY

Thank you for any help/advice.

Have OSU/Denver/Cincy taken a DO?

Denver, yes. From what I've gathered, they all did an AI to land an interview there = cough up $4000.
Yes Denver and and OSU have, I also have a rotation at OSU coming up and they said they interview several DO's a year, just many don't end up matching. Denver, I ran into a faculty at a conference and he said to apply. Cinci is a long shot and fully expect to get rejected but they have interviewed a DO in the past and I figured I have the stats to at least get a look at (albeit they have never taken a DO). its only $20

That fee policy is crap. I have a friend who is a DO and interviewed there last year without rotating there.
A couple of schools do that, UFL Gainesville is another. $800 per week tuition, and still doesn't pay for room and board, food, or transportation.