Chances for top-tier radiology programs.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nash73

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to know my chances.

Step 1 score: 260. AOA status: not known. Will get nominated but can't say about acceptance. Low-tier medical school.(Bottom 1/3 ranked school most likely) No publications. Small research involvement. But, I have lots of interest in radiology. I have extensive knowledge on the physics of imaging techniques and would like to go to a research oriented program. I was a physics major. This is really why I would like to go into radiology more than any other reason. I could probably give researchers at stanford or other research based programs 'a run for their money'. I initially wanted to go to engineering school but decided against it and went to medical school.
What are my chances at West coast and northeast programs? or simply at top programs?

Members don't see this ad.

you were a physics major in undergrad who could give researchers at stanfard and other top programs a run for their money?? with only small research experience and no publications... and you want a top tier research oriented program...

I mean your step 1 score alone will get you looked at and possibly some interviews if no other red flags. However your med school tier and lack of research hurt you at the type of programs you want I think. but dude do not act like you sound on here being so arrogant yet with no real experience... that will essentially guarantee you not matching if you do.

Just apply to all the programs that are research oriented. You'll probably match somewhere.

you were a physics major in undergrad who could give researchers at stanfard and other top programs a run for their money?? with only small research experience and no publications... and you want a top tier research oriented program...

I mean your step 1 score alone will get you looked at and possibly some interviews if no other red flags. However your med school tier and lack of research hurt you at the type of programs you want I think. but dude do not act like you sound on here being so arrogant yet with no real experience... that will essentially guarantee you not matching if you do.

Just apply to all the programs that are research oriented. You'll probably match somewhere.

Sorry about the arrogance. I am more of a theoretical person. I have extensive background in math and physics and I have come up with many ideas for application purposes. I actually have good contacts with radiology researchers in Germany and Japan and bounce off some ideas. No serious collaboration though. Anyways, I do have little research experience. I really don't see how doing research on knocking-down genes in rats helps with radiology. But, I have honors grades. I just would like to express my interest for the research without sounding "arrogant" at interviews. I think that will be my sales pitch for becoming a radiologist. Any other thoughts...I am willing to apply to mid-tier programs, of course.

I would like to know my chances.

Step 1 score: 260. AOA status: not known. Will get nominated but can't say about acceptance. Low-tier medical school.(Bottom 1/3 ranked school most likely) No publications. Small research involvement. But, I have lots of interest in radiology. I have extensive knowledge on the physics of imaging techniques and would like to go to a research oriented program. I was a physics major. This is really why I would like to go into radiology more than any other reason. I could probably give researchers at stanford or other research based programs 'a run for their money'. I initially wanted to go to engineering school but decided against it and went to medical school.
What are my chances at West coast and northeast programs? or simply at top programs?

You have a somewhat similar application (step score, low ranked med school) to myself with similar goals (west coast). Sounds like you're a 3rd year. I'll let you know how it turns out