CHANCES if I quit a leadership position

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Charcharizard

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Senior and I'll be graduating with a Biochemistry degree after 3 years with a 3.75 sGPA and a 3.8 cGPA. Just took the mcat Friday :) I have very significant history in my nuclear family of severe substance abuse, and I want to be a psychiatrist.

I have shadowed three psychiatrists (a generalist, an addictionologist, and a child psychiatrist) for a total of 160 hours. I also have 80 hours volunteering in a detox facility. I have two jobs: I'm a drug and alcohol peer educator at my university, and I am a tech (I do admissions, discharges, and psychoeducational groups, among other clerical stuff) in a detox and rehabilitation facility. I do research on mitochondria, and I'll be second author on a paper to be published in December, and possibly first author on a paper in the spring. I'm the Junior class senator at my university, the vice chair of the policy and finance committee for the senate, and the chair of communications projects for the administrative sexual violence prevention committee at my school. After I graduate this year, I'm going to send in my apps in June while working full time at my job as a behavioral health technician.

I'm also the president of the Model United Nations team, and I absolutely hate it. The people make me miserable, and it consumes so much of my time. I feel like I would be happier and more mentally healthy if I quit, but this is the only activity I have stuck with since my freshman year, and I'm wondering if I should just stick it out for my resume. Thoughts on my chances with and without this?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your application looks great. While sticking with something for years certainly looks good, you already have plenty of ECs and if you hate this position I'd say quit immediately and focus on your many other roles. You already have 3 years of it, no one in an interview is going to say, "HMMM you didn't go the distance with this one particular activity, pass".

Also well done on participating in so many worthy causes. You sound like you'll be a great psychiatrist.

It's fine to "step down." If you are asked why, come up with something altruistic sounding. "Good of the group" "there was someone else interested in the position and since I'd been at it so long and a senior..." both of which wouldn't be BS.

Quit is too strong a word. Resign.

Reactions: 2 users