WAMC School List Help (Please help me cut down schools if possible)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yungcarti

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'd appreciate your help cutting down some schools that may not be a great fit or possibly I need to reevaluate if I would be a good fit if for instance some schools are looking for a certain type of student that i may not be aware of (any advice helps immensely). I put these schools based on OOS acceptance rate and mission fit, and here are my stats:

2 gap years so these hours are completed over 6 years from the start of college

CA resident; cGPA: 3.8 sGPA: 3.61; AO GPA: 4.0 with double major and a minor

MCAT: 1st attempt 509 (130/127/124/128) --> 2nd attempt 518 (130/128/130/130)

UnPaid Internship - Medical/Clinical: 580 hours

Paid Employment - Not Medical/Clinical: 3000 hours (medical related though working for healthcare Venture Capital)

Leadership in college clubs over 4 years: 2500 hours+

Clinical Volunteering: 700+ hours (Hospice care, EMT volunteering, and PPE Delivery during pandemic)

Physician Shadowing/Clinical Observation: 300+ hours with 7 different specialties (some were more clinical experiences with scribing during patient consultations)

Research: 1200+ hours (800 wetlab and 400 more data side)

Tutoring: 550 hours

School List:

UCR

Albany

Rush Medical College Chicago

Penn State

Loma Linda (Christian)

UC Davis

George Washington

Drexel

Loyola Chicago Stritch

Tulane

Temple Lewis and Katz

Wake Forest

University of Vermont

Chicago Med School at Rosalind Franklin

Western Mich University Stryker

St. Louis University

UCLA Geffen

Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University

Georgetown

Tufts

Creighton

UMiami Miller

UCSD

Geisel Dartmouth (can discuss their accelerator)

Ohio State University

New York Medical College

U Pittsburgh

Albert Einstein

University of Colorado

UCI

UCSF

Emory

USC Keck

Kaiser Permanente Tyson

Warren Alpert Brown

U of Cincinnati

BU-Chobanian Avedisian

U of Rochester

UMich

Icahn Mount Sinai

USF Health Morsani

Stanford

Case Western Reserve Cleveland

Weill Cornell

UVA

Duke

UChicago Pritzker

Wash U St. Louis

Vanderbilt

Harvard

Yale

Columbia- Vagelos

Perelman Penn

Members don't see this ad.

If a significant amount of the shadowing hours (100 or more) were scribing, I would list that as its own slot. Any non-clinical volunteering besides tutoring? You could try putting hospice and/or the PPE delivery in there since it seems you would have a lot of clinical hours still left from EMT and working.

Lower sGPA and MCAT retake means you should leave off schools like Stanford and Cornell.

I suggest:

Vermont
Rochester
Einstein
Hofstra
Hackensack
NYMC
Albany
Dartmouth
Tufts
Boston
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Rosalind Franklin
Western Michigan
Oakland
Wayne State
Creighton
Case
Cincinnati
VCU
EVMS
Wake
Emory
USF
Miami
Colorado
UCI
UCR (only if from the area)
CUSM
UCD

Reactions: 1 user
If you have 400 hours of service orientation activities, I'd say you are in a decent position. However, Crisis Text Line and PPE distribution might not be satisfactory (I need more context) as being immersed to help others in distress face-to-face. That might put you out of the running for service-oriented programs like Rush and the Catholic schools.

Yes, you're right the Hospice, Crisis Text Line, and PPE delivery could be under non clinical which would be around 400 hours combined, and then the clinical volunteering would be 500 hours for EMT and my bedside volunteering. Also, as for the sGPA and overall GPA I had to take an incomplete during my sophomore summer class because of a grandparent's death. That class ended up as an F on my transcript but allowed me to retake to which I got an A-. I wasn't aware of the no grade replacement on AMCAS at the time, but my school understood the circumstances and allowed me to graduate with honors in the major (typically not allowed if you have an F on transcript). Without that grade, I would have had a 3.91 overall and 3.84 sGPA. While the MCAT retake is still there, I was wondering if being able to explain that one bad grade with the circumstances on secondaries could justify some of the reach schools on my list? Thanks.
You could explain it, but an incomplete should not typically be turned into a F if you had informed the school at the time and they gave you a future time to finish relevant exams or assignments. Explaining extenuating circumstances would not help at most of the schools I removed, but it would be good for the ones I suggested. It is also something that you may be asked about in an interview (depending on the format).

You can try adding back a couple CA schools like Keck and Kaiser since CA residents are usually determined to stay in-state.

Status
Not open for further replies.