Chances? MCAT 27, cGPA 3.97, sGPA 3.95

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eizeral

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was an idiot and didn't really study the first time around for the MCAT, and studied for a month straight and was seeing significant improvement on my practice tests. My AAMC 3-11 avg was a 32. However, I got the flu 4 days before I was supposed to take the exam the second time and got the same composite score of 27 (8/10/9); prior score was (7/9/11). To make matters worse, my application wasn't technically complete until my second set of scores were released, which was on 10/15/13.

I went to the University of Delaware (c/o 2013) and was a pre-veterinary medicine and animal biosciences major with a minor in Spanish. I have a cumulative GPA of 3.97, and a science GPA of 3.95. I am also Mexican. I have a lot of experience shadowing and volunteering in animal hospitals, but only 60 hrs shadowing in a human hospital. I did research for a semester in college. I also now work as an ED scribe in a hospital and have acquired around 300 hrs doing that so far--something which unfortunately did not make it into my application since I was hired in August.

What do you think my chances are? I'm thinking I'll probably have to retake the MCAT and do my prep all over again but this time for a few months and then reapply. I think my application is probably too late to be considered, especially when coupled with my crap MCAT scores.

I had pretty good recommendations, but only applied to 1 DO school (the one for my state) since I did not have any recs from a physician.

Sorry for the wall of text, guys. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Edit: I am also a Delaware resident, which has no state school, but instead has seats reserved by Jefferson and PCOM.

I applied to a lot of schools but didn't end up doing the secondaries for even half of them because of my crap mcat.

University of Arizona-Tucson - Pre-interview hold
University of Arizona-Phoenix - Rejected
Temple University - Interviewed 10/30 - Waitlisted
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine - Accepted 2/1
Ohio State University - Interview 12/11 - Deferred
Meharry Medical College - Interview 11/18 - Waitlisted
Florida State University
Cooper School of Medicine of Rowan University -Rejected
Jefferson College of Medicine - Interview 1/29/14
Drexel University
George Washington University - Pre-Interview hold
University of Cincinnati
Indiana University - Interview Invitation

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I still think your chances are really good! I had a similar thing happen to me with the MCAT and didn't get as good of a score that I wanted, had a 3.8 GPA and 3.65s (I went to The Ohio State University and majored in Exercise Physiology). However, had a ton of volunteering and was a published author on a neuroimmunology paper. Seems to me you have great EC's and your stats are still excellent. Therefore, I think you have a great shot of getting into your state school at the very least! Best of luck! I don't think you need to take the MCAT a third time, although a 27 doesn't seem competitive, it's still respectable.

Members don't see this ad :)
I still think your chances are really good! I had a similar thing happen to me with the MCAT and didn't get as good of a score that I wanted, had a 3.8 GPA and 3.65s (I went to The Ohio State University and majored in Exercise Physiology). However, had a ton of volunteering and was a published author on a neuroimmunology paper. Seems to me you have great EC's and your stats are still excellent. Therefore, I think you have a great shot of getting into your state school at the very least! Best of luck! I don't think you need to take the MCAT a third time, although a 27 doesn't seem competitive, it's still respectable.
Wow, thank you so much. I really, really appreciate your taking the time to not only read that, but to write a reply. You helped me feel more confident about my chances. Thanks!

27 will be tough for md but your gpa is baller. its worth a shot imo. i would add more low tier schools though.

money for all do schools and its really not a bad route to go at all if you dont have the opportunity to md.

Wow, thank you so much. I really, really appreciate your taking the time to not only read that, but to write a reply. You helped me feel more confident about my chances. Thanks!

No problem! And remember, don't be embarrassed/ashamed/scared to apply to DO schools. You will STILL become a physician. You will STILL be able to specialize. You will STILL have the chance to take both DO AND MD board exams. In fact, the DO education may be even tougher because you have to learn osteopathic manipulative medicine (OMM). I applied to DO schools too just in case, so I would highly recommend that. But yes, also apply to "lower" tier medical schools. But remember, a medical degree is a medical degree and as long as you bust your chops during years one and two and do well on your boards, you can do anything you want when it comes to residencies. Stay faithful! Feel free to contact me for advice/info anytime.

No problem! And remember, don't be embarrassed/ashamed/scared to apply to DO schools. You will STILL become a physician. You will STILL be able to specialize. You will STILL have the chance to take both DO AND MD board exams. In fact, the DO education may be even tougher because you have to learn osteopathic manipulative medicine (OMM). I applied to DO schools too just in case, so I would highly recommend that. But yes, also apply to "lower" tier medical schools. But remember, a medical degree is a medical degree and as long as you bust your chops during years one and two and do well on your boards, you can do anything you want when it comes to residencies. Stay faithful! Feel free to contact me for advice/info anytime.
Thank you, I will definitely do that! I only just started getting interviews, probably because my second MCAT scores were finally released a few days ago, so hopefully the number will rise to increase my chances. If not, I will probably just reapply in June after retaking the MCAT (after some intense prep) and adding more volunteer work. Hopefully I won't have to do that though! I applied to PCOM but can't apply to most others without a DO recommendation. I just asked one for one though, so after i get that I can apply to a few more.