Chances Non-Trad Liberal Arts Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

espere05

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking for some input as to my chances for medical school admissions and advice to strengthen my app for Fall '12 or Fall '13 admissions.

sGPA-3.6
cGPA-3.7
MCAT-36
B.A. History, Temple University (PA)

Medical Experience: Medical Missions volunteer in Philippines (general helper, phlebotomimst), Certified phlebotomist for Quest Diagnostics (full-time position 40/hrs/week), UPenn Hospital Volunteer, ER Research Program

ECs: Resident Assistant (3-yrs), Officer for University Alumni Association, Honors Program, Student Government, Pageantry

Volunteer: Breakthrough Collaborative, Teach For America internships (marketing and operations), teaching SAT classes in low-income neighborhoods, rebuilding playgrounds in local community

Other work experience: Teaching assistant, tutor, event planning

Ideally, I'd like to combine medicine with either a public health degree (MPH) or medical anthropology degree (Ph.D) and teach at the University level.

I don't know whether I should complete a master's degree prior to apply to med school (be M.A. Anthro or MPH) or take more advanced science classes (Biochem etc ) to improve my chances.

Thanks in advance for your input! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think your chances of acceptance will be very good. Your chances will not be enhanced by getting a masters degree before you apply, unless it becomes a vehicle for substantive research opportunities that you are otherwise lacking (note that only 60% of applicants list research). If you do get a masters, you run the risk of your excellent MCAT score expiring. The only essential EC I don't see mentioned is physician shadowing, but you have plenty of time to get that in.

MCAT-36

I don't know whether I should complete a master's degree prior to apply to med school (be M.A. Anthro or MPH) or take more advanced science classes (Biochem etc ) to improve my chances.

When did you take this MCAT? Realize that these have a limited life - for some schools, the MCAT test date must fall within three years of the matriculation date. Therefore for Fall 2012, or worse for 2013, matriculation, your MCAT may already be too old.

Do not bother with either of those masters programs. They will not help you at all in this game, and you will definitely lose that sweet MCAT score.

Sure, a couple of classes like Biochem could be seen as a plus.

Why would you not apply next cycle? Seems like a no-brainer to me...