Chances of being accepted into a DPT program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Redsox14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like many of you, I am currently going through the process of filling out the PTCAS application, almost finished, and I'm a little worried about whether I stand a chance of being accepted into a DPT program this Fall 2015. Every "stat" of mine is pretty solid, but my GRE scores aren't the best. Though, I have a history of performing sub-average on standardized tests while excelling in actually academic classes. Here are my stats...

Current Undergraduate program: Exercise Science
Program GPA: 4.0
DPT Pre-req requirement GPA: 4.0
Overall GPA: 3.94

GRE: 150 on math/verbal and 4.0 on writing

Extracurricular activities: I've been a part of 4 IRB approved research studies, 30 hours in-patient/out-patient shadowing hours, 345 hours of volunteer (mostly from the previously mentioned studies), and I will be spending my last two undergraduate semesters interning with the Redsox S&C team.

I hope that it won't hold me back, but I feel like my GRE scores may weaken my application for those schools that way it pretty heavily. Any thoughts/comments?

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, you're a very competitive applicant and I don't see why you're worried. What programs are you looking to apply to? The only advice I have would be to get some exposure in other settings and consider retaking the GRE.

Honestly, you're a very competitive applicant and I don't see why you're worried. What programs are you looking to apply to? The only advice I have would be to get some exposure in other settings and consider retaking the GRE.

I'm looking at Nova Southeastern, Florida Gulf Coast U., and University of Central Florida. I would love to get some more exposure via shadowing, but right now it's not going to happen. I'm averaging about 40-42 hours a week with the Redsox and then for the Spring 2015 semester I'll be averaging 70-80 (spring training), while having a full-time online course load for both semesters. During this up-coming summer I'll be taking Phys. 1 and 2, but also working as much as I can as I cannot work right now, unless I want to see my gpa slide. Another thing is that because the GRE is so expensive and I already put 2-3 months in studying for it, I can't see it being cost effective to raise my score up a few points. I guess it just depends if I can get some grant or scholarship money during this up-coming spring semester that I can put towards another GRE test...:thinking:

Members don't see this ad :)
You're sitting there with a 4.0 and good credentials asking what your chances are of getting in to a DPT program? You got to know that none of us really know what the chances of getting in are, but some simple research (which I'm confident you have already done) will show you the stats of previous classes from any school. That's your best bet, not a thread of the blind leading the blind. Good luck, and next time you need a confidence boost just look at your GPA.

Reactions: 2 users
As long as your GRE scores meet the minimum for the programs you are applying to, there is no reason you need to retake it. Your scores are decent enough, and your GPA is extremely competitive and will stand out in any program. The main weakness is you only have 30 hours shadowing PT. Make sure to check if the schools you are applying to have a minimum. Many schools want at least 75-100, in at least 2-3 settings, and you don't want your application to be thrown out for not meeting the minimum PT observation hours.

You'll get in somewhere, but you run the risk of being the kid nobody likes

Reactions: 3 users
Is the Red Sox internship paid? That's really awesome and all, but getting those observation hours up above 100, ideally in 2 inpatient and 2 outpatient settings, will help you more than interning with the Sox. As long as you've got 100 hours you should meet the requirements for most schools. You're GPA will help out more than you think, that is the number one thing schools use first to weed thee applicant pool down.