Chances of getting accepted into optometry school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shokshokla

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am currently a senior and by the time I graduate my GPA will be 2.5. I am also studying for my OAT exam which i will be taking this summer before I apply to optometry schools. I plan on applying at the end of august for optometry school to get into the 2019 cycle.

I have shadowed two optometrists and one of the optometrists i started to work with. This job as an optician has been amazing for past 4 months. I also work at a pharmacy part time for the past 3 years. I am also working as a home care health provider for two elderly people because they cannot do things on their own.

Do you guys think I will be accepted into any school with this kinda GPA? Anyone you know who was accepted with a low GPA like mine? Any School suggestions?

Most of the school I am looking into require a minimum of 2.75 GPA, does that mean I won't be accepted anywhere with my current GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

Is that your cumulative GPA?

I know people who have been accepted with low GPAs (not quite that low - 2.7ish), but they're definitely the exception and not the rule. Most schools will accept a few people with lower GPAs though.
Entering Class Profile | Illinois College of Optometry
Our Applicants - UC Berkeley School of Optometry

These are just examples to show that people get accepted with lower GPAs.

How are you going to prove that you can handle the rigor of a health professions graduate program? I don't think you should go for the low-hanging fruit; really think about what you have to offer as a candidate and what you can work on before you apply. Are there any courses you can retake?
I just feel that if you have a weak understanding of the subject material, you may have a harder time than others catching up when you start a program.

This might also be helpful: https://optometriceducation.org/wp-...ofile-of-Applicants-2017-Updated-11-20-17.pdf

Is that your cumulative GPA?

I know people who have been accepted with low GPAs (not quite that low - 2.7ish), but they're definitely the exception and not the rule. Most schools will accept a few people with lower GPAs though.
Entering Class Profile | Illinois College of Optometry
Our Applicants - UC Berkeley School of Optometry

These are just examples to show that people get accepted with lower GPAs.

How are you going to prove that you can handle the rigor of a health professions graduate program? I don't think you should go for the low-hanging fruit; really think about what you have to offer as a candidate and what you can work on before you apply. Are there any courses you can retake?
I just feel that if you have a weak understanding of the subject material, you may have a harder time than others catching up when you start a program.

This might also be helpful: https://optometriceducation.org/wp-...ofile-of-Applicants-2017-Updated-11-20-17.pdf
Hello everyone,

I am currently a senior and by the time I graduate my GPA will be 2.5. I am also studying for my OAT exam which i will be taking this summer before I apply to optometry schools. I plan on applying at the end of august for optometry school to get into the 2019 cycle.

I have shadowed two optometrists and one of the optometrists i started to work with. This job as an optician has been amazing for past 4 months. I also work at a pharmacy part time for the past 3 years. I am also working as a home care health provider for two elderly people because they cannot do things on their own.

Do you guys think I will be accepted into any school with this kinda GPA? Anyone you know who was accepted with a low GPA like mine? Any School suggestions?

Most of the school I am looking into require a minimum of 2.75 GPA, does that mean I won't be accepted anywhere with my current GPA?
I would say you should look into retaking classes because OptomCAS with replace it with the most recent grade if you take it at the same institution. Also you should try your best to score well on the OAT. If you’re able to, try taking some upper division science courses as well

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Heyy I would really recommend a gap year to retake classes at a community college or something! (I did that) & Study reallly hard for the OAT—because a lot of schools told me they focus more on the oat vs your grades!

the only chance you may have is IAUPR but that is honestly a waste of your money because its the worst optometry School. I would say take a gap year. then retake the prereqs for optometry again raise that gpa and apply. get some more shadowing hours in may be. Let me be clear that is money well spend, does it suck sure but its the best way to do it. IAUPR needs to be shut down its a waste of a school.

Keep in mind like Elizah46 said that if you're retaking courses, it might be wise to retake them at the same school you originally took them. When you retake them at the same institution your grade is replaced on OptomCas, which can really help raise your GPA if you score much higher on a few classes. However if you retake them at a different school, it won't replace the grade. Instead it will take the average of both attempts, which unfortunately doesn't raise your GPA as much as replacing the grade with a higher one.

If this isn't an option and you really dislike the professor you took a class with originally then I would consider retaking the class at a different school. I had to do this with Organic Chemistry, my colleges professor is known for failing over half the class each year and he was the only professor available. I didn't like his teaching method at all and ended up retaking the class at a different university. I brought my grade up from a C- to A-. With this method the average showed up on OptomCas as the average of B- instead of the new A- had I retaken it with the original university. I didn't want to risk retaking it with the professor with the bad rep. If you are certain you will do well by retaking it at the same school, then it's better to do it that way for the grade replacement. Just something to think about before you automatically sign up for retakes at different schools.

Are the classes you did poorly in pre-requisites or are there others?

Maybe if you get a 400 OAT you might have a shot. I would retake your low grade classes, study hard for the OAT.

Some schools want a gpa of a 2.75 and some schools don't. Look at what your prereqs gpa is. If it's below a 2.5, retake some of those classes preferrably at the same school. If you can't, then aim for As to average out those low grades. Knock the OAT out of the park. Aim for your AA and TS to be above a 340. I retook some of my classes this year, and I applied late in the cycle, and still got into a great school. You have to prove to the schools that you are ready to handle grad school level courses and that you're dedicated to pursuing optometry.

Some schools want a gpa of a 2.75 and some schools don't. Look at what your prereqs gpa is. If it's below a 2.5, retake some of those classes preferrably at the same school. If you can't, then aim for As to average out those low grades. Knock the OAT out of the park. Aim for your AA and TS to be above a 340. I retook some of my classes this year, and I applied late in the cycle, and still got into a great school. You have to prove to the schools that you are ready to handle grad school level courses and that you're dedicated to pursuing optometry.

Do you know whether when looking at science course GPA if they look at all the science courses GPA or just the prerequisite science course GPA?

I was in a similar scenario with my GPA. If you don't improve your GPA you will need a fantastic OAT score (350 or higher). You could try and retake courses but I ended up doing a one year masters in biology (The schools I applied to loved this). Graduated with a 4.0 GPA with research experience and had no trouble getting accepted into a program (A lot of sacrifice was made but it was worth it). Also, just because you retake a course doesn't mean the grade is replaced on OPTOMCAS. Every school sees every course you've taken from the first time you took it to your second time. You're overall GPA might change on OPTOMCAS but the schools will still see your first attempts. I know that my undergraduate program would not allow you to retake a course unless you made a D or a F. If you made a C in a course they may not allow you to retake it.

I was in a similar scenario with my GPA. If you don't improve your GPA you will need a fantastic OAT score (350 or higher). You could try and retake courses but I ended up doing a one year masters in biology (The schools I applied to loved this). Graduated with a 4.0 GPA with research experience and had no trouble getting accepted into a program (A lot of sacrifice was made but it was worth it). Also, just because you retake a course doesn't mean the grade is replaced on OPTOMCAS. Every school sees every course you've taken from the first time you took it to your second time. You're overall GPA might change on OPTOMCAS but the schools will still see your first attempts. I know that my undergraduate program would not allow you to retake a course unless you made a D or a F. If you made a C in a course they may not allow you to retake it.
Instead of taking a masters degree in biology, would it be okay if you took 30 to 36 credits of postbacc upper divisional science classes? That’s what I was going to do for summer and fall and then send in my application afterwards

Do you know whether when looking at science course GPA if they look at all the science courses GPA or just the prerequisite science course GPA?
I've seen most of the schools I applied to just calculate the prerequisites gpa. Other schools like Midwestern will just use the science gpa calculated by optomcas.

Instead of taking a masters degree in biology, would it be okay if you took 30 to 36 credits of postbacc upper divisional science classes? That’s what I was going to do for summer and fall and then send in my application afterwards
A one year masters degree is about 30 credits so it would be similar to what your original plan was. You have to really consider how much that extra classes will bring up your GPA. If the classes can bring up your GPA to a 3.2 or higher that would help, however when you do a masters degree schools will look at it as a new GPA. When I applied I had a 4.0 masters that the schools saw but OPTOMCAS combined my overall GPA with both degrees and I had a 3.3. They still really considered the GPA to be different because the courses are higher leveled than regular undergrad courses. You also earn a MS which is nice to have and having a MS can really help with optometry careers in the future.

The schools I interviewed at only asked me a 1 or 2 questions about my undergrad GPA and a lot of questions about my masters (classes, research, etc). They really looked at the masters a lot more than my undergrad. If they can see the improvement you've made then you won't have to worry as much about your undergrad history.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've seen most of the schools I applied to just calculate the prerequisites gpa. Other schools like Midwestern will just use the science gpa calculated by optomcas.

which schools did you apply to that will only look at the prerequisite science GPA?

Heyy I would really recommend a gap year to retake classes at a community college or something! (I did that) & Study reallly hard for the OAT—because a lot of schools told me they focus more on the oat vs your grades!
Maybe if you get a 400 OAT you might have a shot. I would retake your low grade classes, study hard for the OAT.
any recommendation of books or anything really that would help me score well on OAT?

any recommendation of books or anything really that would help me score well on OAT?
I used Chad Videos and OAT Destroyer. Chad videos cover every topic that could be on the OAT and he explains very well. Chad videos also have quizzes after each section to help see how well you're maintaining the material. After I completed Chad and took a bunch of notes on all the sections I switched to OAT destroyer which is thousands of problems all very similar to the actual OAT. There are also answers with explanations in the back. OAT destroyer is very helpful for Biology, Ochem, Gchem, QR, and especially physics. I would avoid kaplan. Too expensive and doesn't cover in that great of detail.

If you can get an old kaplan book that would be a great review for the biology section. I personally am a visual learner so Chad Videos were more helpful, but the biology section isn't as great as the other sections.

which schools did you apply to that will only look at the prerequisite science GPA?
Well I know ico calculates out the prereqs gpa if they see your science gpa is low. If your prereqs gpa is higher than you're fine. Idk about other schools though.

Nothing wrong with taking some time off to improve your GPA through a post-bacc or master's degree. I had a sub par 3.0 in undergrad... didn't really care too much when I was in my low 20s... grew up once I graduated.. worked full time for 3 years and worked on a master's at the same time... stayed busy .. did decent on the OAT and got basically all A's in my molecular bio MS... it's possible with hard-work and focus. :)

***Just an FYI though, coursework in Optometry school moves REALLY REALLY fast and you have to learn how to digest large amounts of material at once. It's all about time management and organization more than anything. Make sure you're ready academically and have your stuff together before you just dive in. A 400 OAT and 4.0 GPA doesn't always mean you can handle the material in Optometry school. I know people who did well in undergrad who have struggled in Optometry school and people who did alright in undergrad excel in Optometry school... you're undergrad stats don't really mean anything once you get in.***

Also for the OAT I found OAT destroyer, Kaplan for OCHEM, and OAT Achiever (Slightly harder than the real thing) to be the most helpful. Kaplan overall and Chad's videos didn't really help me much. OAT Destroyer was worth it 100%

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Do you think I have the chance to get in this round? Still applying... Can't take my OAT again because I am returning to full time for the fall and spring semester! Thanks guys!
Date OptomCAS submitted: 07/01/18
Date verified: 08/08/18
OAT Scores: 290 AA 290 TS (BIO: 310 GC: 320 OC: 300 RC:300 PHYS: 260 QR:270)
Major: Neuroscience
GPA: 3.21 Cumulative 2.96 Science
Extracurricular Activities: 7 years opto tech (30-40 patients a day), Uppercouncil/2 years opto club, shadowed 5 OD's, Opto-Camp at Berkeley, Volunteer experience

If you want to get in to a good school, I would say chances are slim. Both GPA and OAT are low, and it’s important to have one or the other to show you can handle the academic rigor. OAT in particular should be higher than at least 300 in all categories to show you understand the science material, especially since it’s the most recent.

Reactions: 1 users
If you want to get in to a good school, I would say chances are slim. Both GPA and OAT are low, and it’s important to have one or the other to show you can handle the academic rigor. OAT in particular should be higher than at least 300 in all categories to show you understand the science material, especially since it’s the most recent.
Thanks, I know I can do better on it if I retake it! Going to focus on my physics and QR sections especially!

Hi all:

Question regarding scholarship opportunities with optometry schools?

I am a current 2019 applicant I have applied to SCO, OSU, MCO, and ICO. I applied with a 3.98 cumulative GPA and an OAT 360 AA 370 TS.

I am curious what similar applicants had experience-wise with interview-vibe, scholarship offers (if any .. ), acceptances...

Hey I know how you feel cause I am literally on the same boat as you. I have about a 2.6 cumulative GPA but my application just got verified this past week and my science GPA was around a 2.3 GPA. I know my GPA is low, but I feel like a have a lot of extracurricular that makes my application stand out. I was concerned and called the admission people and they said that if they have any concerns about my GPA or retake they said they would call me to clarify if I am gunna retake my classes or not.
As for my OAT I am taking it on the 31 and I will let you know how that goes lol

Hey I know how you feel cause I am literally on the same boat as you. I have about a 2.6 cumulative GPA but my application just got verified this past week and my science GPA was around a 2.3 GPA. I know my GPA is low, but I feel like a have a lot of extracurricular that makes my application stand out. I was concerned and called the admission people and they said that if they have any concerns about my GPA or retake they said they would call me to clarify if I am gunna retake my classes or not.
As for my OAT I am taking it on the 31 and I will let you know how that goes lol
I would say go ahead and retake a few classes at the same institution. It’ll only help your GPA. Also kill it on the OAT!:) some schools will take it into consideration if your OAT is high even though your GPA is low. Don’t worry, keep working hard and let your passion really show in the apps and interviews. Also which schools did you apply to?

I would say go ahead and retake a few classes at the same institution. It’ll only help your GPA. Also kill it on the OAT!:) some schools will take it into consideration if your OAT is high even though your GPA is low. Don’t worry, keep working hard and let your passion really show in the apps and interviews. Also which schools did you apply to?
Ohio, SCCO, pacific, Indiana, Berkeley

Hello everyone,

Hey!

Just wondering how your applications went if you don't mind sharing. I'm kind of in the same boat as you and I'm really scared I won't get into any optometry schools. I really want to get into ICO as that's my first choice but my gpa is only around a 2.70. I'm hoping to raise it to a 3.0 by the time I graduate and apply for the 2020 cycle since I know I won't have any chance of getting into the 2019 cycle :(

Hey!

Just wondering how your applications went if you don't mind sharing. I'm kind of in the same boat as you and I'm really scared I won't get into any optometry schools. I really want to get into ICO as that's my first choice but my gpa is only around a 2.70. I'm hoping to raise it to a 3.0 by the time I graduate and apply for the 2020 cycle since I know I won't have any chance of getting into the 2019 cycle :(
Did you end up getting in?

Hey, did you hear back from any schools?

Hey, did you hear back from any schools?
So a little update lol
I took my oat and got 300 in Jan of 2019, still apply to my school but was either rejected or place on hold for an interview. I called advisors from different programs and decided to do a post Bac. Finishing up my program right now, re applied in December with my fall grades that were release. Got placed on hold for schools in California, I have an interview with Oregon next week, and ico

Do optometry schools look at your GPA or grades in classes? I'm on the same boat with a low gpa, taking more of gap years vs gap year to retake some classes. Debating on retaking the classes from the university at a community college. How does that work when applying to optometry schools? Does it look bad? Does it replace the grade earned at the university? Also does it look bad if I retook classes multiple times?