Chances of Getting accepted to Pharmacy School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Student1993Pharm

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm currently preparing myself for applications for Pharmacy School. As a graduating senior I'm a bit worried about my chances of being accepted to a program. Some Stats about myself:

Bachelors of Science- Biochemistry
Bachelors of Science- Microbiology/Biomedical Laboratory Sciences
Cumulative GPA: 2.72
Science GPA: 2.55

*Just a Heads up the Low GPA I felt came from the Physical Chemistry Series which I did not do so well on. I received a letter grade of C in Pchem 1, D in Pchem 2, and C in Pchem 3. I would retake Physical Chemistry 2 over however it is only offered once a year, which would mean I would have to wait until January of 2019. I also did poorly in Multivariable Calculus which I had received a D in.

PCAT: Will be Taking in September

Experiences:
(1) Undergraduate Research [2 Years]
(2) Kaiser Permanente Volunteering [2 months]
(3) Lab Technician Internship at a Winery [2 months]
(4) Community Volunteer/American Cancer Society [2 months]
(5) Community Volunteer/Library [2 Months]
(6) Community Volunteer/Work with troubled Youth [3 months]
(7) Pharmacist Shadow [Current]
(8) Health Care volunteer/Nursing Home [Current]
(9) Pharmacist Shadow [Working on Getting another Position]
(10) Health Care Volunteer/Nursing Home [Working on Getting another Position]

Certifications:
(1) CPR/AED [Working On it]
(2) Pharmacy Technician [Working on it]

Courses I will be Retaking @ Community College:
*Organic Chemistry 1 & 2 (Previous Grade: Ochem 1= C & Ochem 2=C+)
*Calculus 1& 2 (Previous Grade: Calc 1=C+ & Calc 2= C-)
*General Microbiology (Previous Grade: C+)
*Physics Part 2 (Previous Grade: C+)

Questions
(1) Are their any chances of me getting into Pharmacy school?
(2) What are some ways I can improve my application?
(3) How can I make myself stand out from other applicants?
(4) Is their any other volunteering opportunities I can do to be a better applicant?

*Thank you for reading my Thread and I greatly appreciate any feedback towards bettering myself as a Applicant.

Members don't see this ad.

Get a job as a tech. You'll need something to do, it pays, and you'll learn your drugs. I have similar stats and got into 3/3 schools I applied to. My EC's are less varied but more long term, so take that as you will. I also had 1+ year tech exp when I applied. I'm starting at Roseman in the fall.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
What makes you think you’ll survive pharmacy school if this is how you performed in undergrad? It only gets harder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who qualifies for $200k+ in student loans can get in. Passing your classes and especially landing a job in this saturated market is the hard part.

Reactions: 1 users
Questions
(1) Are their any chances of me getting into Pharmacy school?
Low with your current GPA.
(2) What are some ways I can improve my application?
Get A's in the classes you are retaking to prove to the schools you will be applying to and to yourself that you can handle the pharmacy curriculum.
(3) How can I make myself stand out from other applicants?
Work as a pharmacy technician.
(4) Is their any other volunteering opportunities I can do to be a better applicant?
You have a lot of extracurriculars so I think you're good.

Smash the PCAT and you're good to go. Then again, pharmacy schools will take pretty much anyone these days.

Reactions: 1 user
lol i agree with sugoi travis...

1) Are their any chances of me getting into Pharmacy school? yes' ma'am you hava lot of unique experience under your belt
(2) What are some ways I can improve my application? The only thing thats iffy is the grades part, but your already retaking classes
(3) How can I make myself stand out from other applicants? your community servie takes care of that, and get at least a 70 on your PCAT
(4) Is their any other volunteering opportunities I can do to be a better applicant? More shadowing or try a local independent pharmacy to see what they need.

There are soem good pharmacy student youtubers that i could give you there specific handles. They share what they did tp get into pharm school