Chances of getting in after military service.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

SquidAT2

Hey guys. This is a nice forum, I can't believe I've never found it before. But anyway this is my situation. I graduated high school in 2000 and went straight into the military (Navy obviously). I've been taking my prerequisite classes off and on the last six years and won't finish them until probably Spring of '08. I've been on sea duty the majority of the time I've been in so it's impossible to take on a full course load. I'm actually writing this email from Iraq right now! But my enlistment is up in July of '08 and I plan on applying for pharmacy school for the Fall of 2008.

I know most places look at how long it takes to do the pre-req's, but do they usually forgive for cases like mine where it took so long? Also do you think a military background will help out at all while being considered?

Also I worked as a pharmacy tech for 2 years in high school and for one year part-time after I joined the Navy. However my job in the Navy has NOTHING to do with pharmacy. I'll probaby end up with a GPA somewhere between 3.5-4.0 (hopefully). As long as I cut a decent score on the PCAT is there a good chance I'll get in?

UF is where I'm really hoping to go. Is there anything special I need to know for them?

Members don't see this ad.

SquidAT2 said:
Hey guys. This is a nice forum, I can't believe I've never found it before. But anyway this is my situation. I graduated high school in 2000 and went straight into the military (Navy obviously). I've been taking my prerequisite classes off and on the last six years and won't finish them until probably Spring of '08. I've been on sea duty the majority of the time I've been in so it's impossible to take on a full course load. I'm actually writing this email from Iraq right now! But my enlistment is up in July of '08 and I plan on applying for pharmacy school for the Fall of 2008.

I know most places look at how long it takes to do the pre-req's, but do they usually forgive for cases like mine where it took so long? Also do you think a military background will help out at all while being considered?

Also I worked as a pharmacy tech for 2 years in high school and for one year part-time after I joined the Navy. However my job in the Navy has NOTHING to do with pharmacy. I'll probaby end up with a GPA somewhere between 3.5-4.0 (hopefully). As long as I cut a decent score on the PCAT is there a good chance I'll get in?

UF is where I'm really hoping to go. Is there anything special I need to know for them?

As long as you complete all the pre-req's, maintain a solid GPA, and have a decent PCAT score, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't make into Pharm School. However, if for some reason you don't get in, another good paying science career is in Chemical Engineering, which after 5 years experience makes slightly less than a pharmacist.

Best Wishes,

Josh

Hey Squid...first off, thank you for your service to our country (I try to thank anyone who's ever served). Do well on the PCAT and I'm sure you'll be fine. Even though it might've taken longer to finish your classes doing well on the PCAT will show you have at least retained what you've been taught....Best of Luck...

Members don't see this ad :)
SquidAT2 said:

I think you will have a great chance at getting in. Admission committees love a well rounded student body, and you will have a very unique and interesting background to bring to the table. Your application will definitely stand out, and it will stand out in a GOOD way. Make sure you write a great personal statement and keep the grades up and you will be fine. They are not going to hold it against you in your situation for taking a little longer to get the pre-reqs in.

I don't go to UF, but in my pharmacy school class there are quite a few of us that had non-traditional jobs (non-pharmacy related) so don't worry about the lack of pharmacy experience.

And thanks for your service!!! :thumbup:

SquidAT2 said:
Also do you think a military background will help out at all while being considered?

Well it'll definately set you apart from the thousands and thousands of other people who are applying and look essentially the same on paper.. like moi :scared: :)

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but in my experience, my military service did not help me at all. Everyone says that Admissions Committees are looking for well-rounded people, but believe me, you'll never get past the initial screen unless your GPA and PCAT are well up to snuff. Then, at least in my case, they definitely seemed to want pharmacy experience, of which I had little.

I had a 3.64 pre-pharmacy GPA, 3.74 GPA overall, a B.S. in biology PLUS 27 hours at USC in their MBA program PLUS another 61 hours completed in the last two years in which I had a 3.9 GPA. I also had a PCAT composite score of 91. I had also volunteered FULL TIME at the El Paso Opportunity Center for the Homeless for six months.

I thought I was a shoo-in at all the schools to which I applied (Univ. of Texas, Texas Tech and Texas A&M), but was rejected by UT and Texas Tech. I did manage to get into the new Texas A&M College of Pharmacy, for which I am truly grateful.

But, as I told you, I did not have extensive pharmacy experience. I had only shadowed a couple of pharmacists and then only for a short period. Looking at others who had been accepted to UT and Texas Tech with substantially lower GPAs and PCATs, the one very noticeable difference was that they had had, for the most part, rather extensive experience in a pharmacy environment.

My suggestion to you is to use the remainder of your enlistment to become a certified pharmacy technician. Go to the PTCB web site and find out what you need to do, get the books, take the test, and get certified. Then, as soon as you get out go to work at a pharmacy as soon as you can.

Also, NOW is not too soon to work on volunteering in whatever capacity you can, hopefully in a medically-related field.

The truth is, as just about anyone who has applied will tell you, it's getting exponentially more difficult each year to get into pharmacy school. You need to do everything you can while you can to heighten your credentials.

Best of luck, and thank you for your service.

CatSpam