Chances of getting in US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

homelesshoboman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm a 3rd year undergrad in Honours Immunity and Immunology program at the University of Alberta. My GPA is sitting at a 3.6 (Though I have a feeling it will drop by about a half a point or so after this semester). My science GPA is around the same, and I'm waiting for my Nov. Canadian DAT scores. Last year, I got 21's across the board except carving (15, hence why I retook it). What are my chances at getting into
US schools?

Members don't see this ad.

your stats should be good enough for UofA no?

Hi everyone! I'm a 3rd year undergrad in Honours Immunity and Immunology program at the University of Alberta. My GPA is sitting at a 3.6 (Though I have a feeling it will drop by about a half a point or so after this semester). My science GPA is around the same, and I'm waiting for my Nov. Canadian DAT scores. Last year, I got 21's across the board except carving (15, hence why I retook it). What are my chances at getting into
US schools?

I'm currently at the U of A. Finished a science degree and just upgrading this year. With a 3.6 you won't get into dentistry up here unfortunately, unless your pre-reqs are close to a 4 and your dat is excellent. I've applied the last 3 years, each time getting an interview and just missing the cut-off for acceptance. In the states you'll have a better shot, definitely more expensive but you'll get in somewhere but make sure you will have a degree done, unlike the U of A, schools in the US look at your whole application and a degree is almost necessary to get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I realized that, since the 2008 entrance average sat at a 3.85, and carving at 24. Ridiculous. Other Canadian schools admit from mostly in-province, so I'm turning to the US.

I think you have an excellent chance of getting in. Make sure you apply early in the cycle (May-June) and you'll surely have some interviews.

I'm at the U of A too. I just finished my science degree this year. I think you're sitting pretty for most American schools. I had similar stats to you, 3.55 GPA and 22 AA on the DAT. I applied late but got accepted to NYU. Worst case scenario you're looking at paying extra and going to a school like NYU or BU, but it's really not that bad considering how good the interest rates are and that you have a whole lifetime to pay it back.

Yeah, money isn't a problem, so getting in at NYU or Boston wouldn't really be a problem. I was wondering whether GPA's were equivalent between canadian and american schools. Also, can I register for AADSAS anytime and then just have them send stuff around May, (like now) or do I need to register for AADSAS before applying.

Last question, for LOR, does it have to be a science faculty letter? Because I've done research for a professor from the faculty of Medicine and Dentistry (Hepatology), as well as getting to know an english professor well. However, the English professor never actually taught me in a class, so would it be better to find someone who taught me?

Yeah, money isn't a problem, so getting in at NYU or Boston wouldn't really be a problem. I was wondering whether GPA's were equivalent between canadian and american schools. Also, can I register for AADSAS anytime and then just have them send stuff around May, (like now) or do I need to register for AADSAS before applying.

Last question, for LOR, does it have to be a science faculty letter? Because I've done research for a professor from the faculty of Medicine and Dentistry (Hepatology), as well as getting to know an english professor well. However, the English professor never actually taught me in a class, so would it be better to find someone who taught me?

1) do you have any idea about how much a year at NYU School of Dental Medicine is? give me a rough approximation of how much you think....

2) I think AADSAS opens up May 15 2009 for Applicants wanting to enter fall 2010 class. So you will have to open it up at that time. You may be able to create an account and look at the questions now, but I'm pretty sure you have to resubmit everythign come May 15, 2009. You can't just send stuff to schools.

3) not sure about the LORs, some schools are mighty strict, and others are pretty relaxed. I've asked similar questions before and noone could give me a definate answer.

1. If I get in 2010, I can afford $45000 a year without loans, though I expect I'll have to take a small loan to finish 4 years at NYU.

2. Thanks for the answer. I guess I'll wait to register for AADSAS. I didn't mean I would send stuff in, I meant whether I could register now and look at stuff, or if I had to re-register every cycle.

3. Thanks, I think I'll play it safe and find prof's that have taught me. :D