Chances of getting in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baller2308

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a junior with a 2.9 GPA (2.5 science). I am taking a year off and applying next cycle after my senior year. I haven't taken the OAT yet, but I am next summer and will be taking the kaplan class hoping to get above average score. I have shadowing experience and optician experience. If i work really hard my senior year and 4.0 for both the semesters i will graduate with a 3.17 gpa. So I would like to hear some advice about what I should do entering my senior year?

Members don't see this ad.

I understand that it is putting all of your eggs into one basket, but I would focus heavily on crushing the OAT. Like aim for a 100% on it. I am not saying to do bad your senior year, but you can put a ton of work into that and only raise your GPA to 3.1 from 2.9. A 3.1 is better, but I would imagine it is still on the low end. A OAT in the 98th percentile though would offset a bad GPA a lot more imo.

Reactions: 1 user
Not to be crass but all these posts about "chances getting in" without having taken an OAT is useless to assess. Acceptance/interviews extended is dependent on both your GPA and OAT score. You can read countless stories of people with high GPA/mediocre OAT, low GPA/high OAT (that was my case), etc... but to ask for an assessment without full application stats isn't going to be accurate. Take your OAT, tell us what you get, then we'll tell you if you have a chance.

As for advice- there are countless posts with students in your situation, just search for it. They're all going to say the same thing: make sure you kill your OAT and apply early.