Chances of Getting In

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JackPennySoph

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone! I've been nervous about my shadowing hours and wanted to see people's thoughts on my chances of getting into schools. I applied to NECO and SALUS.

GPA: 3.8 average, 3.7 science
Majors: Biology and Neuroscience
OAT: 360 AA/ 370 TS
Extracurriculars: ~400 hours of volunteering (blood drives, clean-ups, animal shelters, Habitat for Humanity, etc), Habitat for Humanity coordinator for 2 years and currently, General Chemistry TA for 2 years and currently, ~300 hours working as an assistant at an optometry practice where I still work (talking with patients about contact/glasses orders and appointments, office work), 21 hours of shadowing with 3 different optometrists

I don't know if the low number of shadowing numbers is going to hold me back. I do get to talk to the doctors and opticians while working about optometry but I don't know if that counts. Any feedback is appreciated! Should I get more hours and add them? I already submitted my apps.

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
No, you're completely fine. You will get accepted into every optometry school you apply to no doubt. the number of hours you've shadowed doesn't matter.