Chances of getting in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reeds23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey.

I am a current senior chem major and math minor and i just got my MCAT results back yesterday. Wondering what my chances of getting into an allopathic med school in the states are. Im really trying to avoid DO and Caribbean.

My MCAT was a 35P: 14PS, 10VR, 11BS

on the downside, my GPA is about a 3.0, with a science around 3.2 :(

Last semester, I had an injury and ended up failing a core philosophy course and must take it again.

For extracurriculars, I have some research experience in a chemical engineering lab and volunteering at hospitals.

I am not planning on applying to med school for matriculation in fall 2012. What should be my next step in this journey?

Thanks!:)

Members don't see this ad.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=418

It's always funny to see a 3.0 GPA along with "I really want the US MD"

Yeah, all people want Harvard too but that doesn't mean they're going to get it

Nice MCAT score. How's your shadowing? Any leadership? What about tutoring/teaching?

Do you have an upward grade trend? Sounds like maybe not with the recent F

You barely hit a 3.0. I suggest an SMP if M.D. in the US is all you're willing to settle for.

Members don't see this ad :)
41.5% according to AAMC table
This is misleading because it includes people with masters, Ph.D's, professional degrees, SMPs, work histories that have lasted 5+ years, people that started businesses, etc. If you see the bulk of people in the Caribbean (that have these stats), you'll notice that they tend to be people with the stats of the OP; this is because they tend to be the fresh out of college people.

This is misleading because it includes people with masters, Ph.D's, professional degrees, SMPs, work histories that have lasted 5+ years, people that started businesses, etc. If you see the bulk of people in the Caribbean (that have these stats), you'll notice that they tend to be people with the stats of the OP; this is because they tend to be the fresh out of college people.

good point, TPM

Hey.

I am a current senior chem major and math minor and i just got my MCAT results back yesterday. Wondering what my chances of getting into an allopathic med school in the states are. Im really trying to avoid DO and Caribbean.

Last semester, I had an injury and ended up failing a core philosophy course and must take it again.

For extracurriculars, I have some research experience in a chemical engineering lab and volunteering at hospitals.

I am not planning on applying to med school for matriculation in fall 2012. What should be my next step in this journey?

You have a year, take post-bacc classes, re-take the classes you did badly in if you want and apply DO. I realize that you said this is not an option. But if you don't get your cGPA to a 3.3ish then you're going to have problems. I recommend you look into taking some upper level classes. Specifically upper level biology classes like physiology, biochem, microbio etc.

I'd say 30-40 credit hours might be sufficient and CHEAPER than a formal SMP. But... in your case with that MCAT score, a formal SMP would probably be of great advantage to you.

What is your state of residence?

(I'm sure Catalystik will be of more help when the time comes...)

Hey.

Fwiw, I have essentially the same stats as you and 6 interviews this cycle. But that doesn't really tell you much because so much of this process is the other stuff - your PS, your extracurriculars, etc. All of that "other stuff" counts for at least 50% (with the GPA and MCAT being the other 50%). If I were you, I'd take some classes, get A's, just to show that you are not an idiot, and apply next year. The MCAT can go a long way towards showing adcoms that you're not "slow" lol, so good job on that.

I recommend you look into taking some upper level classes. Specifically upper level biology classes like physiology, biochem, microbio etc.

I'd say 30-40 credit hours might be sufficient and CHEAPER than a formal SMP. But... in your case with that MCAT score, a formal SMP would probably be of great advantage to you.
This sounds good to me. Beyond redeeming that F, you need to demonstrate capability with rigorous coursework similar to that in med school, by getting an impressive string of As. Get your BCPA GPA higher. Drop the math minor if more upper-level math is going to drag your GPA down.