MD Chances of getting into a top 20 med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BurstingEagle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a junior in college applying this summer. I estimate a 3.85 science GPA and a 3.9 GPA overall. I am a URM , African American female. I will be taking the new MCAT this may and I hope to score above average. My extracurriculars are 1 year of research, 500 clinical hours, 200 hours non-clinical, 50 hours shadowing, residential life desk assistant for 3 years, and 1 year of tutoring. Also, due to skipping grades when younger, I just turned 19. Are med schools turned off when seeing someone so young apply? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am a junior in college applying this summer. I estimate a 3.85 science GPA and a 3.9 GPA overall. I am a URM , African American female. I will be taking the new MCAT this may and I hope to score above average. My extracurriculars are 1 year of research, 500 clinical hours, 200 hours non-clinical, residential life desk assistant for 3 years, and 1 year of tutoring. Also, due to skipping grades when younger, I just turned 19. Are med schools turned off when seeing someone so young apply? Thank you.

You have excellent stats, and a nice assortment of ECs/service work/research. If your research was productive (authorship or some presentation), you are golden at top tiers, regardless of age. If your MCAT is above 33+, you should be able to write your ticket at highly ranked schools (which usually like research). If the research or MCAT is a bit weaker, you would be better off taking a gap year, and getting other work/volunteer experience.

All the doors are pretty open for you now, what is your plan to get your MCAT complete?? If you are planing on taking MCAT between JR and SR, make sure you have all the pre-reqs done, and spend the early summer studying (April/May test date). However, you have very little time to retake if it is not up to your standards, and still apply early (which is a must on SDN). Have a plan A, plan B, and plan C. I'm on my plan C, but I'm keeping the eye on the prize. Best wishes to you.

Reactions: 1 user
You're golden.

I am a junior in college applying this summer. I estimate a 3.85 science GPA and a 3.9 GPA overall. I am a URM , African American female. I will be taking the new MCAT this may and I hope to score above average. My extracurriculars are 1 year of research, 500 clinical hours, 200 hours non-clinical, 50 hours shadowing, residential life desk assistant for 3 years, and 1 year of tutoring. Also, due to skipping grades when younger, I just turned 19. Are med schools turned off when seeing someone so young apply? Thank you.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Getting into a top 20 school will likely depend, in part, on how well you actually score on the MCAT. The average score for test takers is currently around a 26, I believe, and even though both are above average, there's a pretty big difference between scoring a 31 and score a 37. If you score in a percentile that's "in line" with your GPAs, you'll be likely to get into a medical school and you probably stand a good chance of getting into a top 20. No one will be able to give you the exact odds, though. There's no way to know.

Agree with @Goro. Study hard for the MCAT (aim for >90th percentile) and you should definitely garner interest at most places. Best of luck !