Chances of getting into another pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmagirl15

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my chances of getting into another pharmacy school for next year?
Overall Gpa 3.23 as of this Fall semester 2010.
Math/Science 3.0
Plus I didn't do a full year of physics and anatomy yet, only a semester of each :/
I didn't take the PCATS yet either.
I am already in a pharmacy school but I hate it there.

Also, does it matter what pharmacy school you go to get your PharmD when you are trying to get hired by CVS or getting a fellowship from GlaxoSmithKline or large drug companies or if I want to go into teaching?

I hate the small pharmacy school I am in and I want to go to a different school for a different environment.

What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA isn't very competitive. Personally, I would transfer to a 4-year university and beef up my stats for a couple of years. Then I'd take the PCAT before applying to pharmacy school.

What are my chances of getting into another pharmacy school for next year?
Overall Gpa 3.23 as of this Fall semester 2010.
Math/Science 3.0
Plus I didn't do a full year of physics and anatomy yet, only a semester of each :/
I didn't take the PCATS yet either.
I am already in a pharmacy school but I hate it there.

Also, does it matter what pharmacy school you go to get your PharmD when you are trying to get hired by CVS or getting a fellowship from GlaxoSmithKline or large drug companies or if I want to go into teaching?

I hate the small pharmacy school I am in and I want to go to a different school for a different environment.

What should I do?

Your stats are less than impressive and you are already in pharmacy school. There is no guarantee you will enjoy a different school. I suggest you suck it up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I recommend that you take the PCATs as soon as possible. Dont quote me but I think the last PCAT test is in January.

But I too tried to transfer to a different school when I was a sophomore. But most schools dont accept transfers. And for the schools that do accept transfers, since the seating is soo limited they only really accept 2-3 students.

After I applied to schools like UConn, Northeastern and I called to check my application status. The admissions pretty straightout told me to not hold my breath because they get over a thousand applicants and that out of the thousand they only choose like 2 students.. so they were like do the math...

You are lucky you are in pharmacy school, and even though you may hate it I would say to just try and stick with it for the remember years that you have left. getting in pharmacy school is very competitive now because if you plan on transferring you are most likely competing with people who already have bachelor degrees in something else on top of having a good application.

But if you truly want to transfer out Id say call up the schools and ask how many students they accept, and get as much background info. Because unfortunately I made the mistake of applying to schools that didnt accept outside transfers at all (ex. the only accepted students within their universities that wanted to switch majors or being "transferred" into the pharmacy program itself and not transferred into the school --- hope that makes sense.)

I too was very serious about transferring during my 2nd year (we're in the same school). My "transfer of choice" was University of Maryland, but it seemed like I'd need to take the 2-semester A&P sequence, the 2-semester physics sequence, and other things I didn't have. That was too much of a hassle. I did still want to be in pharmacy though. I just stayed here and this place grew on me. I'm still not ecstatic to be here, but I understand that most pharmacy programs have their fair share of BS to deal with. I am now a P3, and our class is very supportive of each other and cooperative so it helps to deal with whatever this school throws at us

The problem for you is that you don't like pharmacy altogether. I suggest if you still want to do pharmacy, stay here. If not, go to a cheaper school with a different major. Business people have it really tough right now. My mom is an accountant and was unemployed for 10 months before finding a job. I imagine marketing is worse. If you switch out, I would suggest to choose something that has at least some demand right now (strong demand isn't necessary as the demand for various professions changes, as seen with pharmacy).

Yeah I would have to transfer now, I was just thinking if it is really worth it since my GPA isn't very competitive and I am missing those two courses and I have to the take the PCATS and get letter of recommendations and everything is such a hassle- time, money, stress only for a better experience, and a downgrade to a lower ranked college. Do you even think I can get into temple pharmacy?
Thanks for your answers, I appreciate it! Also do you think it's stupid for me to transfer because I don't like the environment and the people at my school and I am looking for a college experience, is that a bad reason to transfer? :/

I too was very serious about transferring during my 2nd year (we're in the same school). My "transfer of choice" was University of Maryland, but it seemed like I'd need to take the 2-semester A&P sequence, the 2-semester physics sequence, and other things I didn't have. That was too much of a hassle. I did still want to be in pharmacy though. I just stayed here and this place grew on me. I'm still not ecstatic to be here, but I understand that most pharmacy programs have their fair share of BS to deal with. I am now a P3, and our class is very supportive of each other and cooperative so it helps to deal with whatever this school throws at us

The problem for you is that you don't like pharmacy altogether. I suggest if you still want to do pharmacy, stay here. If not, go to a cheaper school with a different major. Business people have it really tough right now. My mom is an accountant and was unemployed for 10 months before finding a job. I imagine marketing is worse. If you switch out, I would suggest to choose something that has at least some demand right now (strong demand isn't necessary as the demand for various professions changes, as seen with pharmacy).

Lol yeah USP sucks a lot. Do you regret not applying to other schools now that you're a third year? Honestly I think I can bare with pharmacy, just not at USP, like I honestly don't want to be there any more. I wish I can just continue it at another school like temple which would be a step down(I was scared I will regret this if it influences job hirings ex: hire a usp graduate over temple). There are a lot of hassles I have to go through but do you think it'll be worth the happiness I might find at another bigger school?

Lol yeah USP sucks a lot. Do you regret not applying to other schools now that you're a third year? Honestly I think I can bare with pharmacy, just not at USP, like I honestly don't want to be there any more. I wish I can just continue it at another school like temple which would be a step down(I was scared I will regret this if it influences job hirings ex: hire a usp graduate over temple). There are a lot of hassles I have to go through but do you think it'll be worth the happiness I might find at another bigger school?

I don't regret not going to Temple. I know Temple students. They say our rotation options are better than theirs, and they cannot do out-of network rotations. They have badly taught classes too. Also that area is pretty scary, scarier than ours, so it would be harder to hang out with people in your class IMO as they don't all live in one area. I do regret not going to Pitt (that school just didn't sell itself to me well). Their program would end up cheap for me, even out-of-state.

2nd year I searched for something to help me cope with this place. I tried to pledge a fraternity but that didn't work out. What is giving me at least somewhat of a life right now is the USP APhA chapter and the people I met there. I recommend that if you stay here, you find an organization and be active with it. It'll make your life somewhat better as you won't just be studying all the time that way.

don't worry....with the prospect of unemployment + declining in pharmacy school applications = you will get in...no matter how shi&&ty your GPA is.. You'll get in some where. Apply to new schools, they'll take you for sure.

don't worry....with the prospect of unemployment + declining in pharmacy school applications = you will get in...no matter how shi&&ty your GPA is.. You'll get in some where. Apply to new schools, they'll take you for sure.

Why do you whine so much?

What does that mean? You hate the students? You think the professors aren't qualified? The school does a lot of research and you hate that? You don't like what you are learning? You don't like how you are learning it?

What don't you like about USP? What's so bad about the environment? How do you know Temple will be better?

"rather bear those ills we have than to fly unto those we know not of"
-Hamlet's To be or not to be soliloquy

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, especially when you have a poor GPA but it's still possible.

It's possible, sure, but all of you guys are discussing this question as if OP was just looking to get into a program, not transfer from one to another.

But, without actual data on how many transfers schools take, and whether they'll increase transfer load in light of possible application decrease, we're all just pissing into the wind.

Bottom line is, it'll be hard, especially for someone with middling grades who really doesn't want to be a pharmacist at all.

Haha stop referring me to a he, I am a girl!yeah I really don't want to be pharmacy I am only doing it so I can work in the marketing department with large industries such as GlaxoSmithKline, HONESTLY I rather pursue dentistry I just don't know if I should stay at USP and pursue dentistry by fulfilling all the pre-requisites and still be declared as a pharm major as backup but how am I supposed keep my GPA up from all the hard courses I need to do when I am in the pharmacy curriculum.

So I don't know if I should transfer to Rutgers (cheaper) to continue my predental courses and get a bachelors and apply to dental school after or stay at usp as pharmD for back up but apply to dental school my third year, if I get in, I go if not I have backup.

Again like I feel like I won't have time in USP to do extracurriculars for dentistry also.

So should I stay or transfer?

Haha stop referring me to a he, I am a girl!yeah I really don't want to be pharmacy I am only doing it so I can work in the marketing department with large industries such as GlaxoSmithKline, HONESTLY I rather pursue dentistry I just don't know if I should stay at USP and pursue dentistry by fulfilling all the pre-requisites and still be declared as a pharm major as backup but how am I supposed keep my GPA up from all the hard courses I need to do when I am in the pharmacy curriculum.

So I don't know if I should transfer to Rutgers (cheaper) to continue my predental courses and get a bachelors and apply to dental school after or stay at usp as pharmD for back up but apply to dental school my third year, if I get in, I go if not I have backup.

Again like I feel like I won't have time in USP to do extracurriculars for dentistry also.

So should I stay or transfer?

I really don't understand your logic here. You say you don't want to be a pharmacist but you want to work in the marketing department, why wasn't marketing school your first option? Being a pharmacist isn't going to give you an advantage over people who went to marketing school. It's like the people that want to be attorneys in the pharmaceutical industry...you don't need to go to pharmacy school to be an attorney for big pharma.

because if I get a Bachelors in marketing, I am probably not going to get anywhere or make money when I get out and the job market is competitive for marketing so and when I get my PharmD I can work on the side to make money. I want to pursue marketing tho, it is just hard to from the risky and unstable route of just getting a marketing degree since everyone has that now a days.

do you think it's stupid for me to transfer because I don't like the environment and the people at my school, it is too small of a college and I am looking to meet new people who can be potentially good friends with and I am looking for a college experience, is that a bad reason to transfer? :/

Is it better to feel miserable and depressed in college for a good career afterwards or to enjoy my youth and college experience with a advertising degree?

Honestly....pharm students are pharm students, no matter where u go. Not to offend anyone, but i couldnt stand most of my fellow pharm students. They were uber competive, conniving, nerdy, two-faced, and thought they were better than everyone else, and think that the world revolves round pharmacy. Didn't really associate with too many of them, except for a select few. Since I've been around interns from alot of schools (SJU, LIU, Rutgers, USP, Buffalo, Boston, Temple), IMO the pharm student type more or less all seem the same. Most of em really need to "get a life".

Since I went to St. John's I hung out with more non-pharm majors. So much cooler, fun, and down to earth.

My girlfriend goes to USP, it doesnt seem that bad. I mean like I said pharm students are pharm students.

My advice, if you are gonna stick with pharmacy. Stay in one school. No point in transferring. Do what I did, just do what u have to do in school and hang with people that you do like outside of pharm school.

BTW. this is a "generalization". My opinion is by no means all encompassing.

do you think it's stupid for me to transfer because I don't like the environment and the people at my school, it is too small of a college and I am looking to meet new people who can be potentially good friends with and I am looking for a college experience, is that a bad reason to transfer? :/

Is it better to feel miserable and depressed in college for a good career afterwards or to enjoy my youth and college experience with a advertising degree?

I thought the grass was greener on the other side but it was more or less the same. You have four more years, make the best of it and graduate with your degree. From there... the opportunities are endless. :laugh:

I don't necessarily think it's stupid, but it would probably be better to just stay there (unless you really just don't want pharmacy). I hated my undergrad school and thought about transferring, but it seemed like too much hassle at the time. Honestly those years go by in a flash and then you move on. It seems awful now because you're in the thick of things.

It sounds like bacillus had good advice for your school. I recommend trying to make the best of things and you never know, you might think you don't like the people there but then end up making some good friends once you get to know them better.