chances of getting into med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aasif

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am a sophmore in college
now about to start my third year
and i have reallyyyyyyyyy bad grades
this spring semester i took bio, eco, college algebra, and humanites. the only class that i got an A in was humanities. the other i have D's. i am retaking bio and math this summer.
in fall i took english and i got a C and anthropolgy and got a B in that
my freshman year i took history in which i got a C and B and english in which i got a B and sociology and gov in which i got D's

now i could blame all this on family issues and having to work all the time but i know that i can do so much better. if i start working on getting A's and B's starting now will i still have a chance or should i just give up the idea of becoming a doctor???
please help me out im so confused.:(

Members don't see this ad.

i am a sophmore in college
now about to start my third year
and i have reallyyyyyyyyy bad grades
this spring semester i took bio, eco, college algebra, and humanites. the only class that i got an A in was humanities. the other i have D's. i am retaking bio and math this summer.
in fall i took english and i got a C and anthropolgy and got a B in that
my freshman year i took history in which i got a C and B and english in which i got a B and sociology and gov in which i got D's

now i could blame all this on family issues and having to work all the time but i know that i can do so much better. if i start working on getting A's and B's starting now will i still have a chance or should i just give up the idea of becoming a doctor???
please help me out im so confused.:(

You can become a doctor, you need to show that with grades for at least 2 or three years though. Look at my MDapps under "grade trend"

Members don't see this ad :)
my gpa last semester was a 2.0 and this semester its probably a 1.9
and i WILL get A's i am determined to. i just want to know if its possible to get into med school with such a low grades in the first two years

What's your cGPA? After how many years? I'd say the easiest thing will be re-take your poor science grade courses and apply for DO schools.

my gpa last semester was a 2.0 and this semester its probably a 1.9
and i WILL get A's i am determined to. i just want to know if its possible to get into med school with such a low grades in the first two years

So there's no chance of me getting into md school then? Even if I retake the courses that I got D's in?

MD schools don't do grade replacement so those Ds will always factor in. A competitive gpa is 3.6. Use a gpa calc to figure out how many credits you need. I would bet it is at least 4 years at 4.0.

I love how people say, "being a doc is my dream and I will do anything" and then say "I mean MD only." Effectively, your shot at MD is shot. Not for certain, but the work involved makes it not worth it very quickly. But the worst thing is that you claim you will get As, but you got a 1.9. We aren't talking about a 3.5 to a 4.0 where you need to study a little more. You clearly need to revamp your entire system. Until you can back up your claims, don't get ahead of yourself.

MD schools don't do grade replacement so those Ds will always factor in. A competitive gpa is 3.6. Use a gpa calc to figure out how many credits you need. I would bet it is at least 4 years at 4.0.

I love how people say, "being a doc is my dream and I will do anything" and then say "I mean MD only." Effectively, your shot at MD is shot. Not for certain, but the work involved makes it not worth it very quickly. But the worst thing is that you claim you will get As, but you got a 1.9. We aren't talking about a 3.5 to a 4.0 where you need to study a little more. You clearly need to revamp your entire system. Until you can back up your claims, don't get ahead of yourself.

Me personally, when I made that claim to get all As I was not ready. You have to work hard at not being a good student to get a 2.0. Since you have spend two years learning and developing habits to be a poor student, I would estimate 1-2 years re-learning how to be an A student, at least. When I started on the "I am getting all As" quest, that is about how long it took for my performance to level off at 3.8....
Backing up those claims is not easy after spending time in school as a below average student. If not for my surgery I would never have achieved this level of academic performance as you see in my MDApps.

You have a chance OP, use it.

Thankyou so much everyone for all your input