Chances of getting into pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Kobethegoat24

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey people, I was wondering what my chances of getting into pharmacy school is and if you could share your experiences with me. I am a junior in college, I'm finishing up my biology electives and also have Orgo 1 and Orgo 2 left to take(I know🙁 ). My gpa at NOVA community college was 4.0 and my new gpa at GMU is a 3.86. I have been working as a pharmacy tech for 9 months and am registered. I am lacking volunteering hours and haven't taken my PCAT yet. I'm considering taking a gap year as I probably won't be able to apply by the march deadline. Please let me know your opinion, be honest with me I can handle it. Thank you


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Why not try med school? Your GPA shows you could probably handle it

You'll def get into a pharmacy school tho as long as you don't epically blow the PCAT
 
Why not try med school? Your GPA shows you could probably handle it

You'll def get into a pharmacy school tho as long as you don't epically blow the PCAT
Hey FuturePharmD92, thanks a lot for your response. My dad is a doctor and he is always pushing me to do medical school. I really think I can't handle medical school, and i hate changing plans once i have dedicated so much time to them. I am honestly happy with making a few less thousand of dollars because I feel like i fit in well in pharmacy.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Score at least a 70+ PCAT and you should be fine. Given your high GPA and work experience as a tech makes you competitive. I would recommend apply to pharmacy school during your senior year while taking Orgo. Gap year is most likely not needed.
 
That's a great GPA, especially if you're looking at a top school. The lack of volunteer hours may be balanced with your work as a tec. Depending on where you want to go, you may not even need the PCAT (CA and OR for example). But if you do take it, it opens up your options vastly. Practice interview questions and make sure your have a solid reason why you want to become a pharmacist. Good luck!
 
Hey FuturePharmD92, thanks a lot for your response. My dad is a doctor and he is always pushing me to do medical school. I really think I can't handle medical school, and i hate changing plans once i have dedicated so much time to them. I am honestly happy with making a few less thousand of dollars because I feel like i fit in well in pharmacy.

Oh, it's not the money that's the issue. It's the job saturation. Unless you're a top student/candidate (which it seems like you probably could be) you'll probably have a tougher time finding a job. I'm finishing my first year right now and even the pharm schools are telling us that.

But if you want to do it, do it. With your grades I think you'll be just fine. 🙂
 
Yeah that worries me a lot, but I'm trying to research other careers. I haven't found one where I think I'll excel. I don't think I'm good enough to get into med school let alone survive in it. So as horrible as it sounds, I'm just gonna go to pharmacy school and try my chances of getting a job. Do you see the outlook of pharmacy school jobs getting any better in the future?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Not with universities adding schools of pharmacy. Granted, I have no room to talk considering I'm in a new school, but still. At this rate only the top dogs are going to make it... I think anyone less than stellar (or anyone with little to no connections) won't have much of a chance surviving or thriving in the field. That's just my personal opinion. I'm sure others will agree with me though.

I think if you go into one of the top pharmacy schools you'll have a pretty decent chance at landing a great job though, even with the saturation. You've just gotta play the cards right.

Sorry if my post is really hot and cold lol
 
No I get what you are saying, it makes a lot of sense, there are way too many pharmacy schools now pumping out lots of students. I'm gonna try my luck and see where I land. Thanks for the advice


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
I would look at other professions, i.e. computer programming, engineering, finance, etc. that offer better job prospect, a less toxic work environment, and salary as good as pharmacy if not better without you having to graduate with $200k+ in loans and spend an additional 4 years in school. Pharmacy is saturated and getting worse as more schools graduate their first class each year.