Chances of getting into post bac programs/ question about included classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soapbrain

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at this giant list of post bac pre-med programs and I'm just kind of lost. Undergrad cumulative GPA was 3.5, upper division 3.6, GRE 1340, 5 on the GRE writing, currently a research assistant (it's not super sciencey, data collection= interviews), and I volunteer as a crisis counselor. Oh also I'm a registered nurse with a bachelor of science in nursing. Which schools would you think about applying to if you were me? Are there any programs that you think are kind of a scam and should be avoided?

It seems like a lot of these programs don't include some of the necessary or highly recommended classes, which worries me. Certain programs have no calculus, or no genetics, or only one semester of bio... generally speaking, if you are in one of these programs and need to take an additional class, will they allow it?

Members don't see this ad.

What region are you interested in, or would you be willing to relocate? I did some work for the Scripps College Post-Baccalaureate Premedical Program, and your stats seem solid to me. If your personal statement tells a compelling story as to why definitely medicine (and why now), and if you interview well, I think you'd be a strong applicant.

The problem with taking some recommended classes like biochem and genetics is that they build on other material. In the 12-month program at Scripps, your schedule is full just with the introductory sciences. Other alum took stats, biochem and genetics at Cal Poly Pomona and through UCLA Extension during their glide years. You might be able to take additional classes if you opt for the 2-year program, though. One woman in the postbac class above me took more advanced courses during her second year in the program.

I'm looking at this giant list of post bac pre-med programs and I'm just kind of lost. Undergrad cumulative GPA was 3.5, upper division 3.6, GRE 1340, 5 on the GRE writing, currently a research assistant (it's not super sciencey, data collection= interviews), and I volunteer as a crisis counselor. Oh also I'm a registered nurse with a bachelor of science in nursing. Which schools would you think about applying to if you were me? Are there any programs that you think are kind of a scam and should be avoided?

It seems like a lot of these programs don't include some of the necessary or highly recommended classes, which worries me. Certain programs have no calculus, or no genetics, or only one semester of bio... generally speaking, if you are in one of these programs and need to take an additional class, will they allow it?

I'm sure that any program wouldn't have a problem with you taking more classes than what is typically part of their program. Though your ease of getting into those classes would be something to look into. You'll definitely want to make sure that you're taking all the pre-reqs you need for the medical schools you plan to apply to. And generally, the pre-reqs are consistent, but for sure there is a little bit of variation. Looking at the MSAR will tell you exactly what pre-reqs you need for each school.

Any post-bacc program (structured or DIY) will get the job done so long as you excel in your classes. Other factors to consider are cost, location, making it work with your work schedule, access to quality advising, MCAT prep, volunteer and research oppportunities, supportive/cohesive classmates, etc.

When I first started considering and researching this career change (also an RN, like you) I started at the AAMC list of post-bacc programs. I kept my options narrowed down to what is local for me. There were several great options, so there was no sense in uprooting my family, changing employment at this time. Researching those programs led me to this site which has been an incredibly helpful resource. I spent a year after making the decision to change careers to give myself ample time to first of all make sure I knew what I was getting into, carefully research my options, prepare myself and my family for some big time changes, and save money so that hopefully I will not have to take out any loans before I start med school. I'll be starting my post-bacc program this fall.

Good luck to you!

Oh, and you may want to consider staying where you can continue your volunteer work and research (if those activities are meaningful to you). Longevity and dedication to what you spend your time doing are better than padding your med school apps with meaningless fluff. (At least, that is consistently advised, here). It makes sense.