NYC Postbacc programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

middlemarchhh

Reaction score
Hi SDN. I'm an NYC resident contemplating doing a career change to pursue medical school, with little to no science background. I haven't been able to find much in the way of structured postbacc programs besides NYU and Columbia, which are prohibitively expensive. NYC nontrads, what was your path? How did you make it work? Any other good structured programs that I'm missing? Thank you so much for your help in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Currently doing a DIY post bacc at one of the CUNY schools. Also considered the Fordham program since they have two campuses and evening classes, though it’s pricier.

I recommend DIY if you want the flexibility at the expense of advising. For me, I’m confident I know what classes to take and when. If the advising would help, consider a formal post bacc or a school known for its pre-med program (like Hunter).

Reactions: 1 user
Seconding the CUNY recommendation, a thread from a few months ago discussed some more perspectives of students who did it at CUNY (myself included).

CUNY is very cheap, and the ability to e-permit (take classes at other schools) is so convenient. Schools didn't care where I did my post bacc; all that matters is you crush it and take care of business on the MCAT.

Thanks to SDN and Reddit, I never needed a formal advisor that the formal post bacc programs offer.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I always heard good things about the Fordham program. I lived a few blocks from the midtown campus and always saw a bunch of people there in the evenings. I don't know too much about the CUNY program, but it sounds like that is another great option.

Reactions: 1 user
I completed Fordham’s Post Bac

Pros:
+Small classes with mature students and hands on professors.
+ Every pre-req course prepares you for the MCAT
+ Campus facilities are some of the best in NYC
+ Offers some remote classes

Cons:
- Lectures are Test Heavy
- Cost per credit is $$$$
- Caps federal student loans eligibility
- Must complete at least 30 credits for committee letter

I completed Fordham’s Post Bac

Pros:
+Small classes with mature students and hands on professors.
+ Every pre-req course prepares you for the MCAT
+ Campus facilities are some of the best in NYC
+ Offers some remote classes

Cons:
- Lectures are Test Heavy
- Cost per credit is $$$$
- Caps federal student loans eligibility
- Must complete at least 30 credits for committee letter
Hey there, was this program eligible for federal loans?

Hi SDN. I'm an NYC resident contemplating doing a career change to pursue medical school, with little to no science background. I haven't been able to find much in the way of structured postbacc programs besides NYU and Columbia, which are prohibitively expensive. NYC nontrads, what was your path? How did you make it work? Any other good structured programs that I'm missing? Thank you so much for your help in advance.
Don’t go to Columbia whatever you do. The program is known for horrible grade deflation and very little support. Speak to a lot of people before going there. I’d go to the easiest 4 year college and do your pre reqs there. Remember- law school and med school are very similar. Grades and scores above all