Chances of getting into PT school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hashtagDPT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Going to be applying in the app cycle starting this summer, so let me know what you guys think...

University: University of Florida
Major: Health Science
GPA: 3.86 (ish)
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.5
GRE: Taking it in a month and a half or so...still need to take a diagnostic to see how I'm going.

Work (paid): Resident Assistant on campus (for 5 semesters) with various awards and recognitions

Extra Stuff: College honors program (doing mentored research on interventions for low back pain and will present a poster and thesis next spring), started my organization's Dance Marathon team and acted as delegate for 2 years, officer in a service-based music organization

Volunteer: 100+ hours in inpatient, outpatient, & pediatrics

Planning on applying to: UF, Emory, Miami, & USF (so far...)

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats are good! Just do well on the GRE and get good letters of recommendation. You already have everything else needed covered. You should be fine! You should have no problem getting accepted to one or more programs.

Your stats are good! Just do well on the GRE and get good letters of recommendation. You already have everything else needed covered. You should be fine! You should have no problem getting accepted to one or more programs.

I just thought I would add a small comment. I just spoke with an applicant to our school who did not get accepted. 4.0 student. Interview kept this student from getting accepted. So do not forget...if you apply to a place that interviews, it can totally matter (this person's GRE scores were not perfect so was not at the top of the list before the interview).

Members don't see this ad :)
While we're on that note, what should I expect from the interviews? I literally have no idea what sorts of questions are asked, what they really place a high level of importance on, etc. for a PT school interview. Although I've been told I interview well, so I think if I have an idea what to expect, I'll be okay.

Type of interview all depends on the school, but just try to be yourself and be able to say (with specific examples) why you are interested in attending their school.

My Stats:
V: 148
Q: 148
A.W: 3.5

GPA 3.7
I am in the same boat as Hashtag in that I do not know what to expect.

Most questions are going to be fairly generic.
Tell us about yourself.
What do you know about the PT profession, and why do you want to be a PT?
What do you know about OT, AT, Ex Sci, etc., and why do you want to be a PT?
What characteristics do you think a good PT has? And how have you shown those characteristics?
Why do you want to receive your PT education at this school?

Most interviewers are looking to see that you can interact and communicate well, that you have a clue (about yourself, about PT, about PT school, etc.) and that you can think reasonably well on your feet. As PTMattl said about, be specific and give examples. This is one place that your observation hours can really help.