chances of getting into UCSD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

md09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am new at this so please forgive me if I make any mistakes. I was hoping someone could give me some advise or insight from previous experience. I am currently in the acceptable pool at UCSD and I am hoping to be put on the waitlist so I can eventually gain acceptance there. However, i am not sure if my numbers are strong enough. I have about a 3.7 gpa and 28 on the MCATs. I want to know what my "real" chances of getting into UCSD are. I am not sure if I am being overly optomistic since my MCATs aren't that great. Any and all adivse would be great. Also if anyone has any advise on how to get off the waitlist that would be great too. Thanks so much. :)

Members don't see this ad.

nobody knows. if you are in the acceptable pool you must be doing something right. but this isn't the miss cleo forums man.

md09 said:
Hi everyone. I am new at this so please forgive me if I make any mistakes. I was hoping someone could give me some advise or insight from previous experience. I am currently in the acceptable pool at UCSD and I am hoping to be put on the waitlist so I can eventually gain acceptance there. However, i am not sure if my numbers are strong enough. I have about a 3.7 gpa and 28 on the MCATs. I want to know what my "real" chances of getting into UCSD are. I am not sure if I am being overly optomistic since my MCATs aren't that great. Any and all adivse would be great. Also if anyone has any advise on how to get off the waitlist that would be great too. Thanks so much. :)

Like automaton said, nobody knows the mysterious workings of the admissions committees. What does "in the acceptable pool mean?" I assume you interviewed there, right?
If you want to get off the waitlist, let them know that you REALLY want to go to there. Write a letter to the director of admissions and tell him/her that UCSD is your absolute #1 choice, and you would go there over anywhere else. Give the specific reasons why you think they are a good match for you and why you are a good match for UCSD. Have another letter of rec sent to them (if you have someone else who can write you a good letter). If you are friends with any students at the school have them send and email or letter to the admissions office stating their support for you.

Of course, none of this will guarantee anything, but if UCSD knows that you will go there if you are accepted, it may give you an advantage over an equally qualified candidate that has not expressed such interest. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
the "acceptable pool" IS the waitlist.

i heard an unconfirmed rumor that everybody who interviews is put on the waitlist. i personally don't believe this is true, but it may very well be.

that is not true. i interviewed march 31st and received a call from dr. kelly this tuesday that i got accepted.

maybe write a letter of intent and write your interviewers?

The "Acceptable Pool" is NOT the waitlist. In May, applicants in the "Acceptable Pool" are re-reviewed and are either rejected or invited to the waitlist.

Also, after your interview, you're either accepted or placed in the "Acceptable Pool." No one gets rejected post interview until May.

i see. thanks for clarifying that. congrats kobashi AND sdnstud!