Chances of Getting into UCSF Dental as a late applicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acvdental937

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a 3.86 GPA and a lot of extracurriculars. However, I had a tough summer and am applying late to this cycle. I'm taking my DAT 10/1 and plan on submitting my application by 10/10. I know UCSF's application closes 10/15. Do I even have a chance of getting in then? How slim is it? I'll appreciate any honest answers. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

There is already an existing thread for questions like this. I imagine you'll receive better advice there. I will post it below.

What Are My Chances? WAMC Dental
I moved this thread to that forum :)
Hi guys, I have a 3.86 GPA and a lot of extracurriculars. However, I had a tough summer and am applying late to this cycle. I'm taking my DAT 10/1 and plan on submitting my application by 10/10. I know UCSF's application closes 10/15. Do I even have a chance of getting in then? How slim is it? I'll appreciate any honest answers. Thanks so much!
It's really late. There are a couple things I'd say: 1) I think a high DAT could be your saving grace being that late in the cycle, when most applicants submitted their apps in June-July. 2) UCSF has been super random these past few years, rejecting people with really good stats, so a high DAT may not be enough for them. 3) Their deadline is 10/15. I believe this is the date they must receive your primary application by. Once you submit your app, it can take 2-3 weeks (sometimes sooner) for your GPA to be verified by AADSAS. Only after GPA verification will schools receive your app, so submitting 10/10 is probably cutting it extremely close. 4) It also takes time for your DAT score to be verified, again 2-3 weeks. 5) What about your PS and LORs? I'd hope you have those done already

Because it's so late, and because you don't have DAT scores in hand (worst case scenario, what if you score poorly?), I'd suggest taking your DAT 10/1 but applying early next cycle, instead of risking it this cycle and being a reapplicant next cycle.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I moved this thread to that forum :)

It's really late. There are a couple things I'd say: 1) I think a high DAT could be your saving grace being that late in the cycle, when most applicants submitted their apps in June-July. 2) UCSF has been super random these past few years, rejecting people with really good stats, so a high DAT may not be enough for them. 3) Their deadline is 10/15. I believe this is the date they must receive your primary application by. Once you submit your app, it can take 2-3 weeks (sometimes sooner) for your GPA to be verified by AADSAS. Only after GPA verification will schools receive your app, so submitting 10/10 is probably cutting it extremely close. 4) It also takes time for your DAT score to be verified, again 2-3 weeks. 5) What about your PS and LORs? I'd hope you have those done already

Because it's so late, and because you don't have DAT scores in hand (worst case scenario, what if you score poorly?), I'd suggest taking your DAT 10/1 but applying early next cycle, instead of risking it this cycle and being a reapplicant next cycle.

Thanks so much, I really appreciate your honest response. I was really afraid of taking 2 gap years because it seemed like a long time to be off from school. Is it common for dental students to take that much time off? It might sound stupid but I'm concerned/insecure about being a lot older than everyone else.

Thanks so much, I really appreciate your honest response. I was really afraid of taking 2 gap years because it seemed like a long time to be off from school. Is it common for dental students to take that much time off? It might sound stupid but I'm concerned/insecure about being a lot older than everyone else.
As long as you're productive during those two years/spending your time wisely (not fooling around), I don't think a few gap years is that big of a deal. As for being older, you'll see that schools are really diverse in who they accept to be a part of their incoming class, I think we've ranged from 20-mid 30s. It honestly doesn't mean much to anyone (I mean this in the nicest way possible lol- no one cares about age!).