Chances of match neurology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I wanted to ask if I should even try to match neurology, I have some terrible red flags (all happens in a span of 6 month, dealing with personal problems that lead to all of this), but I really do love the field.

So here I go,

Failed step 1 2x, then passed on 3rd try (200)
In between that time, took the neurology clerkship, and failed the shelf (got great evals)
Took some time off from school (got some help, took some time for myself), came back took neurology again and passed (again got good evals)
Since then have passed all the other rotations, planning to take the step 2 soon

I think I can get a good recommendation from at least one neurologist, and my dean is aware and maybe able to comment on those month.

I'm in the NE area and looking to stay but really I can go anywhere. I know chances are very low, but like I said I love the field and would love to get into it, or is FM it; im pretty stress as application season is coming up :( please give constructive comments!

Thank you guys in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I wanted to ask if I should even try to match neurology, I have some terrible red flags (all happens in a span of 6 month, dealing with personal problems that lead to all of this), but I really do love the field.

So here I go,

Failed step 1 2x, then passed on 3rd try (200)
In between that time, took the neurology clerkship, and failed the shelf (got great evals)
Took some time off from school (got some help, took some time for myself), came back took neurology again and passed (again got good evals)
Since then have passed all the other rotations, planning to take the step 2 soon

I think I can get a good recommendation from at least one neurologist, and my dean is aware and maybe able to comment on those month.

I'm in the NE area and looking to stay but really I can go anywhere. I know chances are very low, but like I said I love the field and would love to get into it, or is FM it; im pretty stress as application season is coming up :( please give constructive comments!

Thank you guys in advance.

I don't know an excessive amount about neurology but sympathize with you. It isn't as competitive as some other fields , so i say apply broadly and see what happens. If you really are serious, why not schedule rotations at some lower-tier/less competitive neurology programs this summer and fall? You should probably also try to blow step 2 out of the water and have it ready when you apply in September. A good step 2 score may offset a crappy step1 experience. Worst case you can always do a transitional year or year of research in neurology and reapply. If you really want it, you can get there. good luck.

Despite what you might hear on this board, neuro still is not incredibly competitive, except at the top tier programs. You need to be able to explain why your performance suffered, and why this won't be a problem in the future. You also need to do well on step 2, well enough that programs won't be concerned about your ability to handle medical knowledge in the future.

You are very right that you have some serious red flags. You need to apply VERY broadly, and you would do well to mix in some family medicine programs as well to make sure you have a good chance of matching somewhere. But your chances of matching in neurology are non-zero.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks guys for replying, I know I need to do as well as i can, but what would be a good score that I should go for to help easy their (admissions) mind? are we talking about like a good passing score (220) or like (240-250s)?

im trying to see once i get my step 2 score, i'll decide to go for it or not, if i get 210 on it, probably shouldn't even bother for it :(

Don't forget the power of doing an away rotation! If there's a program you're super interested in, and one that is within your reach (read: not Partners), it can make a HUGE difference. This gives you the chance to show your stuff, to show your dedication to a specific program, and to show that there's more to you than your shortcomings in the past. Just make sure you apply NOW via VSAS. Most programs will only have 1-2 visiting students at a time, and they can fill up quick! It can be an expensive prospect, but it can make a world of difference!

Good luck!