Chances of matching at west coast FM programs from east coast

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whorobbedthewoods

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for insight on matching to west coast FM programs, especially full-scope community programs such as Sutter Santa Rosa, Contra Costa, Ventura, Swedish. I'm an MS3 attending an East Coast T20. Do NOT want to remain in my current location. I have no geographic ties to the west coast (or anywhere, as I have lived a nomadic life!), but that region has the best career opportunities for my SO. Older non-trad, interested in full-spectrum training and underserved community health. Not interested in academics/research but open to academic programs if it would mean going to desired location. FTR I understand that FM programs are more about fit and that the best/most competitive programs are not necessarily the brand names ones, which is why it can be hard to get good info/mentorship at an institution like mine where there are not a lot of people applying into FM.

Step 1: 23X
Preclinicals: all P first attempt
Clinicals:
OBGYN, Peds, Psych - H
IM, Neurology - HP
FM, Surgery - pending

Research - none really (1 pub in curricular development, 1 manuscript submitted in advocacy/curriculum)

ECs - mostly focused on advocacy and the arts

LORs - if I applied today would be the weakest part of my app :( Have not found strong mentorship so far.

Do not speak Spanish.

Do I have a chance at these programs? I have heard I need to do an away rotation in order to be competitive for these programs. Is this true? I know this is generally true in other more competitive specialties but wondering if this is also true for FM. I have a small child so have family as well as financial restraints for wanting to avoid doing aways.

Members don't see this ad.