Chances of matching in a residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crystalwater

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
First of thank you for taking the time to read and comment.

I am a US medical school graduate, started residency but due to health reasons it was hard to continue and resigned almost towards the end of year 1. I had amazing and supportive PD and mentors, but at that point it was hard to continue on and I resigned my position mutually agreeable.

Since then I have been doing therapy and I want to apply back to residency (after a long road of feeling better I am interested in psych) and I was wondering what are the chances of getting into a residency.

Thank you for your feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Difficult to say without knowing more. Critical data points will be how long you have been out, the exact circumstances around your leaving, and the strength of your PD's letter. If these are not going to help much, then you might have a problem and need to consider applying to other specialties.

not so long ago, we were the other specialty to be considered if you have a problem. Nice problem to have.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why not reapply to the same program if they were understanding if you still want a psych residency?

Thank you so much @psychattending , @futuredo32 and @MacDonaldTriad.

I just recently resigned in March. I am still undergoing treatment and will be applying next year, so it will be a little more than a year from resignation of residency. I agree that a lot will matter in terms of PD's letter as well as the situation that caused me to resign.
I will apply to the program where I was doing another field in residency, but believe after my own journey of recovery I am more interested in psych.

In addition I do plan on shadowing psychiatrists in the area prior to applying next year and taking step 3.

I really thank you for the responses and helping me understand the chances and the road ahead.

Good luck crystalwater. I would apply broadly to improve your chances.