Chances of matching in neurosurgery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lipoyl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question is probably for senior med students and residents....

My pre-clinical and clinical grades are only slightly above average (ie no chance of AOA), but I have multiple 3AANS presentations, and a clinical neurosurgical pub too. My board scores are also solid (233).

I was just wondering if anyone had an idea of what my chances are of matching in a mid-upper teir neurosurgery program (places like Mt. Sinai, BU, Tufts, Georgetown...). Is there anything I can do over my last 1.5 years (I am currently a third year) to improve my chances. My medical school is extremely competitive, and I find it extremely difficult to get the top grade, no matter how hard I study.

Thanks for the advice.

Members don't see this ad.

You should be in good shape to match in NES somewhere it sounds like. I'm not sure about the particular program level for which you would be competative, though

Members don't see this ad :)
aoa=alpha omega alpha...a medical honor society. Admission standards vary b/w schools.

To improve your chances at getting any residency, doing an audition rotation *may* do the trick. Obviously the caveat is that an insufferable personality, poor work ethic or other values which don't show up on a transcript can hurt you more by doing an audition.

BTW, you don't have 1.5 years left, but only a little more than a year, perhaps less. Neurosurg is an early match, so I suspect your applications have to be in before November 1 of next year, with auditions done, and letters of rec written before then as well.

Many residency programs are looking for people with whom they can work, as long as the academic credentials are sufficient. If you fit in well with a program and its current residents and faculty, this may help you more than AOA - of course the key is getting in the door to be seen - the role that the audition elective plays.

Best of luck to you.