chances of matching into psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WHOIZME

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a third year, with a step one of 216, and a pretty average student. I want to match into psych somewhere in chicago, such as rush, UIC, loyola.
I go to UIC med school. I will end up with a mixture of passes and high passes in my rotations. Would I be considered a competitive applicant for these programs? Also, are away rotations necessary for psych?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Im a third year, with a step one of 216, and a pretty average student. I want to match into psych somewhere in chicago, such as rush, UIC, loyola.
I go to UIC med school. I will end up with a mixture of passes and high passes in my rotations. Would I be considered a competitive applicant for these programs?
Yes.
Also, are away rotations necessary for psych?

Thanks
No.

You're welcome.

I don't know what the average scores there are, but when I interviewed at several of the Chi programs, I got the impression that they do get quite a lot of applicants due to so many people wanting to live there. Some of the programs there are on the small side too (only 3 spots at Advocate Lutheran and 4 at Loyola). If it's extremely important to you to stay in Chicago I'd probably suggest doing some aways to help yourself stand out.
Best of luck!

I go to UIC med school. I will end up with a mixture of passes and high passes in my rotations. Would I be considered a competitive applicant for these programs? Also, are away rotations necessary for psych?

Thanks

You should be competitive. Away rotations are not necessary. However, if there is a specific program that you want to go to, doing a good job on a subI there should improve your chances.