Chances of passing NAPLEX

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZakMeister

RPh
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the chances of passing if one makes 50-60 mistakes?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

It's hard to say because the questions are weighted; however, your odds are probably pretty good.

There is a rumor that you only need to get about 60% of graded questions right in order to pass. I think that number was originally published in a pharmacy times opinion piece and I'm told that it's listed on the NAPLEX Wikipedia page. Those are not great resources, but it might be a reasonable ball park number.

I'm sure that I made at least 50-60 mistakes on my NAPLEX, and I passed with a good score.

Reactions: 1 user
It's hard to say because the questions are weighted; however, your odds are probably pretty good.

There is a rumor that you only need to get about 60% of graded questions right in order to pass. I think that number was originally published in a pharmacy times opinion piece and I'm told that it's listed on the NAPLEX Wikipedia page. Those are not great resources, but it might be a reasonable ball park number.

I'm sure that I made at least 50-60 mistakes on my NAPLEX, and I passed with a good score.

Thanks Abby...School really spoiled my expectations from these exams. It was a long exam and tension got the better of me. Hope I pass!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Abby...School really spoiled my expectations from these exams. It was a long exam and tension got the better of me. Hope I pass!

Do you feel like your school adequately prepared you or did you just feel tension from the exam? I'm also asking because I think you went to the same school I do.

No, it's definitely not as high as 60% overall. Depending on the exam faced, it is mathematically possible (but extremely unlikely) in the exam to actually get 35% of ALL the questions right that are faced (because if the max 20% is used for the nonscoring questions, you would need 43% on the remaining 80% scoring questions to get a rescale score of 70 with the weights if you graduated in my year). Don't try your luck though, you would have needed to get every one of the questions in the 35% right in the scoring and not nonscoring range to get the 43% of the scoring. The good news is because of the CAT, if you think you failed going out of the exam, you *probably* passed. Remember that the 70 is not a percentage, it is a weighted score that at most is that percentage. So for questions that everyone missed or a significant breakdown of the scores happen, they end up not being scoring even if they are in the scoring range. This happens from time to time when a standard changes, but the curve only works in your favor. Depending on the calibration, I think you are assured to pass if you can get 60% of the scoring questions right although I would be curious about the trough.

But then again, I knew graduates who got 69 and 70 even, so there really were people who answered exactly the right number (or 1 less) in their particular cohort.

No, it's definitely not as high as 60% overall. Depending on the exam faced, it is mathematically possible (but extremely unlikely) in the exam to actually get 35% of ALL the questions right that are faced (because if the max 20% is used for the nonscoring questions, you would need 43% on the remaining 80% scoring questions to get a rescale score of 70 with the weights if you graduated in my year). Don't try your luck though, you would have needed to get every one of the questions in the 35% right in the scoring and not nonscoring range to get the 43% of the scoring. The good news is because of the CAT, if you think you failed going out of the exam, you *probably* passed. Remember that the 70 is not a percentage, it is a weighted score that at most is that percentage. So for questions that everyone missed or a significant breakdown of the scores happen, they end up not being scoring even if they are in the scoring range. This happens from time to time when a standard changes, but the curve only works in your favor. Depending on the calibration, I think you are assured to pass if you can get 60% of the scoring questions right although I would be curious about the trough.

But then again, I knew graduates who got 69 and 70 even, so there really were people who answered exactly the right number (or 1 less) in their particular cohort.
Keep in mind the NAPLEX is no longer CAT.

Reactions: 1 users
The same chances of you keeping a pharmacist job after making 50 to 60 mistakes working.
If you know that you don't know what you don't know you'll be fine. :) Nobody knows everything. It's more like the same chance of keeping a pharmacist job after looking up 50-60 clinical questions.