Chances of residency in US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kathleen914

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hear all this talk abt finding out what is the percentage of a school's graduates that obtain a residency in the U.S.? I understand that it is a good indicator of a school's success rate (the good schools have rates of over 90%). However, as a Canadian, I feel that number doesn't really mean as much to me given that the majority of students are US citizens. Am I wrong here? If not, is there any info on or does anyone have an idea as to what the chances are of Canadians in schools such as Ross, Saba, etc getting US residencies?

I know frm the NRMP site that approximately 50% of non-US FMGs are matched. That's a long way from over 90%. I assuming the chances are considerably higher coming frm a good Caribbean school because of the advantage of having followed a curriculum close to the of the US (USMLE scores, letters of rec, etc). Also intersting is the fact that US FMGs had a similar placement rate.

Please let me know what to make of all of this. I'm still weighing my options and the only serious doubt I have abt applying for a Carribean med school (or any other for the matter) is getting a residency.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Canadian applicants / graduates from Canadian medical school have ~75% match in the US system. That doesn't mean there is a good chance of Canadian citizens, caribean graduates to match in the US. I beleive it is 50%. Citizenship and school of study matters. THe Canadian schools are licensed under the same umbrela as US. LCME and American Medical Association.

hi just a suggestion...

I am in the same situation (canadian attending a carribean med school). I have 14 weeks of rotations left here in the US. I am applying for the match and require the H1B visa, which you will need also. That is what your major factor will be when you apply to residency. We are already limited as to which programs we can apply to (who will sponsor visas).

If I could do this all over, I would try my hardest to get married to an American Citizen. It takes away alot of the hassle and you can apply to any program you want.

Another issue is timing, whether you should secure your visa before you apply etc....so you must weigh out your advs and disadvs.

hope this helps.

Is this the same as Canadians earning their medical training in the US.

I think if you do your training in the US than you are considered as US-trained and will not have to worry about the match. But you are right.. get a green card and it will be much easier as a whole. Than you call also bitch and complain about everything with out fear of being kicked out.. hehehe.