chances? please be honest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fatboy123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i applied last cycle and haven't had much luck. I think i need to work on my interview skills. I had 3 interviews, waitlisted at 2 schools. I got a 21/21/23 AA/TS/PA and a ~3.55 OGPA/3.5 SGPA. I applied to about 10 schools. I only had 75 hours of shadowing, now i have ~120 and over 400 hours of volunteering. I did have a few schools that were out of my reach like UCSF, Maryland, UPenn. Thoughts?

And how can I improve my interview skills?

Members don't see this ad.

when did you apply?
As for interviewing skills, socialize more with people, gain confidence, meet some girls.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You're an average applicant so I would probably apply a bit more broadly than that. Being average still means your chances are like 50/50 at any one school. That being said, I'm pretty surprised you didn't get in last year. Have you done anything else to make yourself standout?

The internet is full of tons of good interviewing resources, so just do a bit of searching. Also, try to apply a bit earlier.

i think i've done as much as most people? i was a part of a lot of clubs. i volunteered for the red cross teaching classes in spanish to the hispanic community. i volunteered abroad in South America and Asia teaching english. i volunteered as a missionary for 2 years.

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like you already did more than what most applicants are doing.

Reactions: 2 users
You're an average applicant so I would probably apply a bit more broadly than that. Being average still means your chances are like 50/50 at any one school. That being said, I'm pretty surprised you didn't get in last year. Have you done anything else to make yourself standout?

The internet is full of tons of good interviewing resources, so just do a bit of searching. Also, try to apply a bit earlier.

When you say average, what about her stats/accomplishments is average? Asking honestly, because I'm in a similar situation as him/her(will be applying next June).

Wait, 400 hours of volunteering??? Now I don't think I'm going to make it. How much do people normally volunteer?

When you say average, what about her stats/accomplishments is average? Asking honestly, because I'm in a similar situation as him/her(will be applying next June).
Everything about OP is pretty much the average for matriculants nationally.

Your stats are great. It is possible that you were very qualified, but there are only so many seats. Apply early, like, the day AADSAS opens as you now know what the application will be.

Which schools were they and were they pre or post-december interviews?

I'm pretty curious about this too. I have about the same stats as OP And I have three interviews so far.