Chances Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TubaFish

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

So here's my situation, maybe you've seen it before, maybe not.

I am currently a Senior with one semester to go before I graduate. I have decent extracurriculars and my GPA is pretty solidly at a 3.65, probably going up to a 3.7 before I graduate. I am applying for the fall of 2010.

I have nearly a 3.95 in nearly 30 credits of Bio classes, about a 3.7 in my prerequisite physics, and a 3.5 in my math courses. I am not worrie about these courses. My problem is that my Chemistry record stands in stark contrast to these grades and quite frankly is awful. I had Withdraw from Gen Chem 1 the first time I tried it. When I retook it I got a B+. Then a B in Gen Chem 2, a C in Organic 1, and a D+ in Organic 2. A pretty disgusting downward trend that sticks out like a sore thumb on my transcript. I really have no excuse for my poor Chem grades. For each class I studied my hardest, got tutors, etc. I gave it everything I got and then some and even that was not enough. I don't really see how I could do any better if I retook them so that is not an option.

Assuming I pull a decent score on the DAT's (which I can't gaurantee b/c I havent even started studying yet) how much do you think this downward trend of piss poor Chem scores is going to affect my chances? Do you have any advice?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Think of a really good excuse and put it in your personal statement. Also, make SURE you get high marks (19 or better at least) in the two chemistry sections of the DAT. That should alleviate some concern for the adcom. If you score 17s on your chem sections on your DAT, not looking good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure you retake Ochem 2 if you have not already. I believe that the minimum grade most schools will accept in a prerequisite course is a "C-", but obviously aim for an A. Then, as mentioned in other posts, rock your chem. and o-chem DAT sections and your overall GPA and extracurriculars will get you interviews.

'C' is the lowest most will accept, not 'C-'. I got a C- the first time I took orgo2 at a state school, so after graduating I retook it at a high-level academic school (Univ. of Chicago) to show that i could handle the material not simply due to repeating it. Got a LOR from the prof. too. ADCOM's liked it.