DO Chances?.... Red flag concern.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CantStop_WontStop

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First time poster here, just looking for some opinions on my chances for the upcoming DO cycle.

Stats:
White male, 30 years old non-trad at time of applying, youngest of 3 siblings, first to attend college including parents.

3.85 cGPA, 3.85 sGPA (A's in all pre-reqs except B in gen chem 2) No retakes.

Taking MCAT 6/2/16, so far 496 & 500 on NextStep 1/2 length diagnostic & Full-length respectively with minimal content review thus far. Confident I will hit a 508-510 after 3-6hrs/day 6days/week from now until exam.

2 Science LORs and 1 DO LOR - all speak very highly of my character

20 hours of DO shadowing with IM PCP who is also an IM residency director, which was a great experience because I was able to sit in on a couple resident lectures and speak with students/residents about their experiences. It also allowed me to see a combination of inpatient and outpatient medicine. I'm only interested in IM PCP and desire to live in a rural community.

I ran my own business and was a real estate agent right out of high-school. I closed my business and took up a full-time job in Customer Service prior to starting college at 26, and continued to work full-time+ through undergrad to support myself and help parents.

I currently have not volunteered in a clinical setting mainly due to my work schedule and my focus on maintaining good grades, and now also studying for MCAT. Immediately following my MCAT I intend to volunteer for 10-20 hours/week ongoing. I do however have substantial exposure to hospital and outpatient medicine through personal experiences, although I'm not sure if they'll carry any weight for apps? My mother worked as an aide in a hospital for 30+ years and just recently retired, and at the end of last summer I spent 3-5 hours/day for a month in a hospital while my father was admitted and underwent 2 spinal surgeries, but unfortunately passed away within 48 hours after being released. Throughout his time in the hospital I was the only direct family he had in the area (divorced parents) and so I was involved with all interactions between his PCP, neurologist, neurosurgery PA, nurses etc. As stressful as the situation was, I feel like it provided me with great insight into how things are done, and added more passion to my desire to continue on this path.

The major red flag I'm concerned about is a Misdemeanor DWI I got when I was 24yrs. This was a major eye opening experience for me, which still affects me and the decisions I make everyday. This resulted in me completely changing my views on life, dissociating with people and habits that were a negative influence on my goals, and ultimately led to me starting college and pursuing a better life. Although 6 years will have passed since the incident it definitely worries me that this one mistake may be the deciding factor on my future. Any thoughts on how it might be taken during the app season would be appreciated.

Well that's everything, thanks to those who chose to read and/or comment.

Members don't see this ad.

You should have nothing to worry if you end up getting your target MCAT score. They won't care of something you did 6 years ago and have no repeated offenses. Just be honest, take responsibility, and show that you've changed.

Score at least a 505 on the MCAT, and you'll be golden.

Thanks for the reply, good to know that they may be willing to accept it for what it is and see that I've made changes. Time to rock the MCAT!

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree 100%

You should have nothing to worry if you end up getting your target MCAT score. They won't care of something you did 6 years ago and have no repeated offenses. Just be honest, take responsibility, and show that you've changed.

Score at least a 505 on the MCAT, and you'll be golden.

Thanks, it's a relief and motivating to know it won't kill my chances... another question though. Upon doing well on the MCAT, based on my low volunteer clinical experience should I apply to certain schools, such as newer ones? or is there a shot that it will be overlooked due to decent stats, personal statement, and LOR's?

Agree with others, but one word of caution: Do not try to justify the DWI in essays or during interviews. Accept that it was a dumb mistake and your fault (not my friends repeatedly bought beer and I didn't know I drank too much or it was the mean cop that gives everyone a DWI... etc). Then be ready to discuss how you've grown since and what you've learned from the mistake.

With those stats and a good MCAT and you'd be a good candidate for DO or MD.

Best of Luck

Thanks DrMikeP. I have definitely always owned up to it, and have strong beliefs that we're all responsible for the decisions we make. I was actually completely cooperative and apologetic to the police when it happened, and the two officers ended up speaking to the judge on my behalf, which resulted in a conditional discharge. However, a conditional discharge is still a misdemeanor where I live, but with lesser penalties. I didn't mention it in my PS, and would just as much rather it not come up in interviews at all, but I certainly have to report it and address it if an Adcom does bring it up, which in that case I will explain how I've grown from the experience.

Reactions: 1 user
You look really strong. I think you've got some great experience albeit not necessarily health care but good nonetheless. Your DWI was 6 years ago and it sounds like you learned from it. Obviously, the committee needs to hear that and could be a good talking point about your progression, maturity, and possibly how its driven your desire to become a physician even more!

Good luck to you

You mention you have no experience volunteering in a healthcare setting but don't worry about that. Your story is strong and corroborates a better learning experience than most volunteer opportunities would at face value. You would be a pretty stellar applicant based on my knowledge and experience alone, also, if you score a 505+ then let your application soar into the hands of any ADCOMs you desire. Best of luck, buddy.

Great to hear, thanks for the positive feedback. I guess I'll be anxiously awaiting my MCAT date/scores to know for sure where I stand.