Chances? Should I be doing something?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frenchyn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I do not know my school's ranking...below 50% I think?

Anyway, I am interested in surgery. I love to do procedure and things with my hands, but I want to wait until I take step 1 to see if I have a good score or chance before I really explore surgery further and commit.

But I was ranked 10th of my class and will be the lead author of a research paper. Also, I am the leader of couple interest groups. I am in my second year right now and I want to focus on step 1. If I have a decent step 1 to match into surgery, will it be too late for me to build up my resume for surgery residency?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Focus on getting 230+ on the Step 1. Review your materials from M1 so you retain the information. Start doing questions now. Google the NRMP match data for more detailed info on scores and match rates.
  2. Get good grades in the rest of your basic science courses if you can, although as long as you pass everything grades don't matter too much (class rank does help though)
  3. The school you come from isn't that important, unless you are an IMG
  4. Get honors in your M3 general surgery rotation

Optional:
  1. Show interest in the specialty. Join your school's Surgery club. If you don't have one - start one. Talk to the surgeons in your school to help you out with the club - they should be willing to let you scrub in on a few cases or call you when they get a case on call - even if you only go a few times it will be worth it. You will get a better idea if you really like Surgery and a better idea of how to schedule your M3 rotations. The Surgery club at my school ran suturing classes once every 2-3 month, we'd all pitch in $10 for supplies. We had a surgeon help with the first one, then we ran it on our own. Just something to put on your CV and talk about in interviews. (We also went into the ER Friday nights - they let us stitch up the drunks or college students that came in with minor cuts.)
  2. Do research in anything. Find a mentor. Doing research in surgery may be easier as an M3 after you've had your GS rotation. Lots of students don't have research experience before applying, so do not sacrifice your step 1/step 2/rotation grades for time spent on research - only do it if you have the time. Again just something to put on your CV and talk about in interviews.
  3. Do some volunteer work. Again, building your CV. Check if your school has a student run clinic.
  4. Review anatomy from M1 regularly. Relearning it later is a pain in the ***
Edit: sorry, just reread your post and you already mentioned you're doing research. looks like you're doing all you can!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thank you very much for your response.

I already bought Uworld and started doing some practice questions whenever I have time.

I am not really involved in my school surgery group, but I learned how to suture.

Will it be too late for me to build connection with surgeons after I get my step 1 score? I want to focus on step 1 for now, on top of school and research (Unfortunately it is the most important thing). I know things can be busy during 3 and 4 year with rotations and boards, but if possible, I rather wait until after step 1. I guess I also don't have the confidence in myself that I am smart enough to match into surgery...so I will hate to waste the surgeons' time with a low step 1 score.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I got my step 1 score back and it is 247...

I am thinking between anesthesia then ICU/CT fellowship versus surgery (trauma, CT, vascular, neurosurgery).

Like I mentioned above, I want to do procedures and thing with my hands. How well I am at it? I do not know. Though a well known plastic surgeon taught me how to do sutures and he said I have very nice surgeon hands.

Anyway, I picked out the specialties above because I want one in which I am required to know pretty much every thing EXCEPT neurosurgery, but it is due to a personal connection with neurosurgery. I do not mind hard work, but I want to pick out one that I will be good at and love to do.

I ranked top 6 of my class in a low tier school, one research paper and one project...should be able to get AOA. Other than that, I do not have much besides my work history.

I am at lost. I do not know where to start...I met with people to discuss my options and was given a lot of contact information, but I do not want to contact all and waste their time. Shadowing is great, but I feel like seeing how they do and actually doing myself are two different stories.

Anyone went through the same situation, have any suggestions? Also, with my step 1 score, do I still have a chance for the surgical specialties I mentioned? I believe according to NRMP data, I am right at average for neurosurgery and vascular...not sure a trauma and CT...I did not see one for CT especially integrated CT

Thanks in advance

So I got my step 1 score back and it is 247...

I am thinking between anesthesia then ICU/CT fellowship versus surgery (trauma, CT, vascular, neurosurgery).

Like I mentioned above, I want to do procedures and thing with my hands. How well I am at it? I do not know. Though a well known plastic surgeon taught me how to do sutures and he said I have very nice surgeon hands.

Anyway, I picked out the specialties above because I want one in which I am required to know pretty much every thing EXCEPT neurosurgery, but it is due to a personal connection with neurosurgery. I do not mind hard work, but I want to pick out one that I will be good at and love to do.

I ranked top 6 of my class in a low tier school, one research paper and one project...should be able to get AOA. Other than that, I do not have much besides my work history.

I am at lost. I do not know where to start...I met with people to discuss my options and was given a lot of contact information, but I do not want to contact all and waste their time. Shadowing is great, but I feel like seeing how they do and actually doing myself are two different stories.

Anyone went through the same situation, have any suggestions? Also, with my step 1 score, do I still have a chance for the surgical specialties I mentioned? I believe according to NRMP data, I am right at average for neurosurgery and vascular...not sure a trauma and CT...I did not see one for CT especially integrated CT

Thanks in advance
Well I've read average for vascuLar integrated. Right around average for all other sub specialties. Your step 1 score will not be something that will hinder your application in any field. Plastics might be tough but from the data it looks like it's tough even if you got a 250+. You'll get to scrub in during 3rd year and do some cutting and closing. I think most of it you'll get to do during your sub I. Just try to figure out what you like. Anesthesia and surgery are very different so try to figure out why you like one or the other.