Chances/Tips for getting in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmillie

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Mostly hoping for any last minute tips for my application! I'm submitting at the last minute so that I can get in my summer A&P II grade and get some more observation hours. Let me know if you guys have any tips or answers for my questions below. :) Or just some encouragement haha, I'm stressing.

Undergrad
: University of Oregon
Major: Biology (Neuroscience and behavior emphasis), Psychology minor
Overall GPA: ~3.42
Prereq GPA: 3.3 - 3.7ish, depends on the prereqs. Taking last term of A&P in Fall, physics lab this upcoming Fall/Winter/Spring, and abnormal psych online next winter.
GRE Scores: V158, Q163, AW 5.0
Observation Hours: 680 outpatient (aide), 30 SNF, 4 inpatient neuro (lol), plus hopefully around 20-30 in outpatient neuro, and 20-30 in an equine rehabilitation facility. These last few might have to be "planned" by the time I apply.
Extracurriculars: Volunteer in Oregon Health and Science University psych research lab, horseback riding for 11 years (anyone know how I should enter this in PTCAS?) + club equestrian team at UO for 1 year. Not much else - I had a couple jobs at UO in a kitchen and as a tutor, should I list these anywhere?
LOR: 2 PTs, 1 professor, 1 lab PI at OHSU (director of psychiatry dept)
Applying to: *Not all of these, still narrowing down the list: University of Washington, Eastern Washington, George Fox, USC, Cal state Northridge and Longbeach, Samuel Merritt, West Coast University, UCSF, Western U of Health Sciences, Chapman, Regis

Members don't see this ad.

U got a chance I got interviews and my stats are only a little higher if that means anything haha.

Mostly hoping for any last minute tips for my application! I'm submitting at the last minute so that I can get in my summer A&P II grade and get some more observation hours. Let me know if you guys have any tips or answers for my questions below. :) Or just some encouragement haha, I'm stressing.

Undergrad
: University of Oregon
Major: Biology (Neuroscience and behavior emphasis), Psychology minor
Overall GPA: ~3.42
Prereq GPA: 3.3 - 3.7ish, depends on the prereqs. Taking last term of A&P in Fall, physics lab this upcoming Fall/Winter/Spring, and abnormal psych online next winter.
GRE Scores: V158, Q163, AW 5.0
Observation Hours: 680 outpatient (aide), 30 SNF, 4 inpatient neuro (lol), plus hopefully around 20-30 in outpatient neuro, and 20-30 in an equine rehabilitation facility. These last few might have to be "planned" by the time I apply.
Extracurriculars: Volunteer in Oregon Health and Science University psych research lab, horseback riding for 11 years (anyone know how I should enter this in PTCAS?) + club equestrian team at UO for 1 year. Not much else - I had a couple jobs at UO in a kitchen and as a tutor, should I list these anywhere?
LOR: 2 PTs, 1 professor, 1 lab PI at OHSU (director of psychiatry dept)
Applying to: *Not all of these, still narrowing down the list: University of Washington, Eastern Washington, George Fox, USC, Cal state Northridge and Longbeach, Samuel Merritt, West Coast University, UCSF, Western U of Health Sciences, Chapman, Regis

I would recommend going ahead and submitting your application. You can enter the observation hours as planned, and the courses as planned. You can then go through the process of academic update at the end of the fall semester. This way the schools can already view your application. Applying early, especially at schools with rolling admissions, is really important.
I would definitely add the equestrian team to the experience section. I'm not sure about the horseback riding portion. I feel like you may could sneak that tidbit into an essay or answer to a school specific question, or you can contact one of the schools you are applyng to and ask if that should be included.

Hope that helps. Good Luck!!!

Ur stats look pretty good compared with mine. I had a 3.4 both undergrad and prereq, 309 GRE, 400+ hours in 5 different settings.. and got waitlisted at fiu and accepted at U St. Augustine.. you’re definitely on the right path.
Also really look through forums on here if u do get an interview on how best to come prepared. I researched a ton of potential questions and was asked a bunch of them from the interviewing professor.