DO Chances to get into DO school in 2018?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrSprinkles

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
For anyone who is willing to help out here, can you tell me if I got any shot into a DO school?
  • I'm currently senior with a cGPA 3.235, sGPA around 2.9-3 and will take the MCAT in April.
    • high possibility to end up with a cGPA ~3.3 and sGPA ~3.0-3.1 by graduation (according to some it could be 0.1 higher for both)
  • Double major in Biology and Philosophy
  • Was on the school's fencing team for 3 years but didn't continue because my class schedule didn't allow it
  • Currently volunteering at the emergency room (just completed a full year)
    • Was given an award from the Volunteers Count & Mayoral Service Recognition Program in 2016
  • Took a 48-hour training course at my college and got a certificate as a medical interpreter (now use it to volunteer interpret at the hospital I'm at)
  • Currently searching for shadowing opportunities and research (applied to some and I'm waiting for responses)
Also, I did retake 3 classes and heard that now DO schools changed the way they calculate GPAs:
  • Calculus 1: F --> A+
  • Organic Chemistry 1--> no credit-->C+
  • Organic Chemistry 2--> no credit --> currently taking and very likely get A- or B+ (if do really good on the last exam I could get an A)
I'm live in NYC and plan to apply to all the DO schools here and to other out of state

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No one can even come close to giving you a definitive answer. Take the MCAT first and people will be able to tell you.

For anyone who is willing to help out here, can you tell me if I got any shot into a DO school?
  • I'm currently senior with a cGPA 3.235, sGPA around 2.9-3 and will take the MCAT in April.
    • high possibility to end up with a cGPA ~3.3 and sGPA ~3.0-3.1 by graduation (according to some it could be 0.1 higher for both)
  • Double major in Biology and Philosophy
  • Was on the school's fencing team for 3 years but didn't continue because my class schedule didn't allow it
  • Currently volunteering at the emergency room (just completed a full year)
    • Was given an award from the Volunteers Count & Mayoral Service Recognition Program in 2016
  • Took a 48-hour training course at my college and got a certificate as a medical interpreter (now use it to volunteer interpret at the hospital I'm at)
  • Currently searching for shadowing opportunities and research (applied to some and I'm waiting for responses)
Also, I did retake 3 classes and heard that now DO schools changed the way they calculate GPAs:
  • Calculus 1: F --> A+
  • Organic Chemistry 1--> no credit-->C+
  • Organic Chemistry 2--> no credit --> currently taking and very likely get A- or B+ (if do really good on the last exam I could get an A)
I'm live in NYC and plan to apply to all the DO schools here and to other out of state
did you start studying fro MCAT?

I think you should aim at 508+ with your GPA.

Shadow, continue volunteering, take MCAT, get LOR's

probably need a post-bacc. Seeing the retakes in combination of the gpa is 2 red flags. If you get a crazy high mcat score you'd have a shot, but even then your prospects would look much better with a post-bacc. Many ppl in my class have done a post-bacc and they're becoming quite common. Not to mention they're doing better/having an easier time in 1st year as well.